Cooling the canopy part 2

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

After my last overview of adding fans in my canopy to increase flow and thus cooling, many people said that they believed that this was not efficient in their systems.

So to appease those who indicated it wouldn't be efficient, I have created part two.

Same tools:
(1) 3 1/2 inch wood boring bit
(4) 120x120 mm cooling computer fans (usb fans run at 20db, very quite)
(1) 3/8 inch drill bit
(16) 3/8 x 3 inch threaded nut/washer/bolt combo packs.
1 USB adapter for 129volt plug in application.
eafd0c42b2ac316b82284b62fcc07dcd.jpg

Pic of the items from Amazon

Step 1: mark the areas you wish to place your fans, and drill accordingly. ( notice in this picture that I have placed mine further to the left, this is due to additional fans on that side that will help me move air if temp gets too high)
f1b90757c0b0623a7287780eb5c7cbbd.jpg

Once the holes are drilled, dust off the area and mark the 4 holes for the nuts and bolts (this is best done by placing the fan and using a nail or screwdriver to mark the placement)
87ab60fd938c94e1ac187ee44a4f4037.jpg

Once the holes are all drilled and the canopy top is clean, take the first filter cover and place over the first hole. Using 4 of the screws, mount the screen to the top of the canopy (•NOTE:) the fans come with noise reduction stoppers, remove them from the fans and remove the small screw holing them, place the stoppers (1 on each bolt) to hold the top filter screen in place. Like such
1b3f42d2b05c058a1c8d2113ff82ed73.jpg

Notice how this will not just act as a holding item, but will actually minimize the vibration from the fan making the system even more quite.

Next place the fan so that the flow moves out of the canopy, since heat rises, this will aid in the flow of the heat out of the canopy.

72bc14141200fae6be4e61583ebcb248.jpg

Secure the fans with the other rubber stoppers and bolt them in place. The rubber stoppers will provide room to tighten without tightening too tightly. That will also reduce the vibrations factors

Repeat as needed. Please ensure that your power cord is inside the canopy.
3493d83fd8aa4e604def1152097d7eb2.jpg

7b6843be152e64b52b3310626ccf42a7.jpg

Once that is completed use a zip tie to clean up the wires, plug them into the adapter and place back in your tank. Fans should be near silent and you should see noticeable cooling.

Please let me know if I needed to be clearer on any part of this. It's a really easy project. Total time with all parts available. 45 min including clean up. M
Hope this helps someone and satisfies those who didn't like the other version.

Be well all!

Frogman out!
a6398b03ba9d0f2981e99a5b31a06729.jpg

d5062a0f9b780cafee1376ff308e2937.jpg

Again. Ports on the left side will help move air on my canopy. You might want to center yours according to your needs.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did several threads years ago on reef central and other forums on fan placement and found two 120 mm fans, one in each end of my fully enclosed canopy and both blowing clean, cool air in with equal sized holes in the roof of the canopy was by far the best arrangement for me. I tried fans in the back, on the top, on being in and one out, high speed, Ac powered, DC powered, constant speed, variable speed, four 80 mm fans, and many more configurations before arriving at the above.
The fans are now 13 years old and they allowed me to sell my 1/4hp chiller and still maintain a maximum of 79 degrees in Phoenix in the summer with 2x250 w metal halides and 2x140w vho fluorescent actinics. They are powered by harbor freight variable voltage DC power supplies and normally ran at 9 to 10.5 volts as 12 volts made they run fast enough the tank got too cool and evaporated too much. The Vantec fans are rated at 53 cfm and 28 dBa at full voltage and almost totally silent. By sucking dry air on they stay cleaner and last almost forever. Best of all by having exit holes in top I get cooling by natural convection even when the fans are off.
When I placed fans in the top blowing air out they gummed up in a matter of months and if they blew in from the top they were fighting against convection so we're not nearly as efficient.

OP
OP
frogman_reefer

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand... So when people challenged my putting 2 120mm fans on each side with airflow through it... I decided to develop this option as well. I don't like it as much, but now I have both. And since I like to tinker, it works great as an added cooling mechanism.

Thank you for your insights on this as well. Appreciate it

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it didn't take a lot of velocity. My canopy is 5 feet long, 18" front to back and like 16" high. It contains around 10 cubic feet of space. Two 53 cfm fans give me over 10 complete air changes per minute which is way more than what was needed once I perfected the fan placement and speed. More fans was just more noise and didn't cool a bit better as they ended up fighting each other as they tried to pressurize the canopy space. Not efficient at all. I spent a couple years experimenting with this. My most detailed thread was lost when my local reef club shut down their web forum but it had a lot of temperature and wattage as well as dB readings in it. I did a similar write up on pumps when I was a member of team RC on reef central which was extremely detailed with most if the pumps at the time tested.

OP
OP
frogman_reefer

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow... These are simple cabinet fans for a gaming console. They are extremely quiet. My chiller is the loudest piece of equipment I have. I did this to show people what can be done.

I have two fans on each side and four on top. Not needed, but it was more about showing people options and getting to play around.

I have a 72 inch fixture in that canopy, so not a lot of room. The ones on the end. One blows in, one blows out.

All the ones on the top blow outward. With the back open, it provides lots of airflow which I desire anyway.

So with all this stated, is it all needed??? Of course not, but it's fun doing and sharing. So either way it was fun for me

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 90 46.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 86 44.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 18 9.3%
Back