Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Quick questions regarding cultures.

- what's the rule of thumb for growth? 21 days or ?
- when you finish the culture after 21 days or whatever you decide. Can you keep a small amount to re culture after you clean the container ?
- how long do they survive unfed ? After they're cultured I wouldn't dump them all into my tank at once however, over a period of time. Can I keep them in a separate container ? Do they need to be fed or will they just die ?

Best

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 21 days-ish, you will see the population explode after about 2.5 weeks, from then its up to you.

thats what I do, keep a small amount to start the new culture, and the rest for the fish.

When I harvest, I keep them in water bottles, and feed them into the tank for a few days, usually 3-4 days. I poor a little phyto into the bottle so they have something to eat. I don't know how long they can live without food. I've read that they will also eat crushed pellets or flakes, but I tried that once and found it just dirtied the water, so I stick to phyto.

i add some to the tank during the day cause the fish like it, and I add some at night to populate the tank

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 21 days-ish, you will see the population explode after about 2.5 weeks, from then its up to you.

thats what I do, keep a small amount to start the new culture, and the rest for the fish.

When I harvest, I keep them in water bottles, and feed them into the tank for a few days, usually 3-4 days. I poor a little phyto into the bottle so they have something to eat. I don't know how long they can live without food. I've read that they will also eat crushed pellets or flakes, but I tried that once and found it just dirtied the water, so I stick to phyto.
Thank you !

Back