Copepod Sanctuary

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build a place in my tank that copepods can colonize and not be bugged by fish. I dont want a hang on fuge etc so I figure has anyone built a pod sanctuary? I was thinking of getting some dry rock and just banging it up a bunch and make a rubble pile so they can get all in there without any issues?

Anyone done this?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. A pile of small rubble will work, but if you want a ready built place for pods, check out the "Hotel."

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're on the right track with rubble. Pods won't discriminate- as long as there is a cryptic zone with lots of nooks and crannies, a safe place to have offspring and molt/breed and food they will multiply.

Mine seemed to really enjoy dense macroalgae

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks super cool @Big G ! I have a small 25 gallon tank so I am not sure how that would look. Maybe I could put rocks around it / on top so it looks more natural?

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're on the right track with rubble. Pods won't discriminate- as long as there is a cryptic zone with lots of nooks and crannies, a safe place to have offspring and molt/breed and food they will multiply.

Mine seemed to really enjoy dense macroalgae
Is there any way to pack the rubble to make it better? Or just lots of holes and what not to get into?

It would be cool to be able to make your own rock and just have tons of holes dilled in like that hotel thing hah

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You honestly probably don't need to go to the trouble. Most pods are so small they should find their way into the crevices between with no issue. Even a piece of liverock is fine. Essentially, anything with a lot of surface area and spots to hide. As long as it's not a single layer and shallow, it should be sufficient. The pod hotel isn't a bad suggestion, but pods aren't very picky as long as they have that cryptic space.

Xenia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go sit in front of the tank and look at a rock, i have critters crawling all over, even a small pebble against a corner of the glass has life running under it. i started out with fake rock. No need for podhouses

OP
OP
bvanfish

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biota mandarin that is eating my pods quickly haha. It is now eating mysis and some pellets but I want there to be a place it cannot get to so the pods can keep exploding!

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience a rubble pile definitely helps. I used to keep those little strawberry baskets full of rubble in my sump. It created little cryptic zones in the sump and pod and sponge breeding grounds. It also allowed me to move them around in the sump for cleaning. Hope this helps.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a pod hotel from the same type of material. I don't know if the official hotel is weighted or not. I had top set a rock on it to keep it down. I never sow more than a couple of pods at a time in it so I trashed it. I now have a plastic container with sand and other crap in the bottom . This is in my sump tho not DT. I just scooped some out to seed a new build and it is full of critters including some awesome bristle worms and stuff.

Last edited:
Back