Copepods and amphipods?

badstorm48

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
400
Reaction score
107
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have like a million (exaggerated number of course) of these little tiny bug looking things jumping around in the water on the glass and sand. Now I'm not 100% sure what they could be, but I think they are either copepods or amphipods. Now do seeing these mean your water is really good or do they live in all sorts of water conditions? Here's a pic hopefully you can see them.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453747772.365182.jpg


ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453747846.044867.jpg

The white dots are the bug things. My iPhone camera isn't good enough to get close enough to see the legs and antennas
 
upload_2016-1-25_18-12-8.png

Isopods - Munnid
 
Well, I can't see them well enough to tell. But if they have jointed legs and exoskeletons they are probably copepods or some other small crustacean that grazes on algae. As such, they serve as food for fish that like small prey.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new