Copepods and filter sock?

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I add pods to my tank and refugium, and also run 200 micron filter socks will it catch the pods? Im not sure if they will flow through the sock or not? Thank you

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the species i think you should be fine they're usually smaller than 200 micron.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always take my sock and shake it real good over a pitcher with aqua water in it to get the pods out. Fish love it when I put them in the DT!

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always take my sock and shake it real good over a pitcher with aqua water in it to get the pods out. Fish love it when I put them in the DT!

I do the same exact thing. The fish see that sock come out- and they KNOW the good stuff is coming their way soon.

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 200 micron socks also and yes it does catch the pods. I switched to the mesh type of socks and most pods go right through. The mesh socks don't polish the water as well however. Always a trade off.

Dave1045

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 200 micron socks also and yes it does catch the pods. I switched to the mesh type of socks and most pods go right through. The mesh socks don't polish the water as well however. Always a trade off.

What size are the holes in the mesh? How much stuff gets through the holes?

JamesP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of pods in the sock are a small percentage of the total pods in the system. Assuming the pods are reproducing in the dt and fuge, you won't have any issues. I have a 120 and use a rollermat which is fine felt and my mandarin is fat and happy. I dont supplement pods at all either. I used to when I was seeding the tank, but it has been a year or so since my last addition. The polish from the felt sock is worth it. Just change them a couple times a week so it is an effective nutrient export. When i ran socks before getting the rollermat I opted not to shake out the pods as I didn't want to get the other nasties in the sock back in my tank.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the mesh socks in between the felt because they don't clog up as quickly but they are still 200 microns so they do keep the big stuff out of your tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat it too much. If you have a couple hundred in the sock, you have a couple thousand in the tank.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the socks for a couple hours or overnight when you add the pods.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 84 71.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back