Copepods hotel?

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a 45gal, with 2 15gal tanks as sumps. I am planning on running Zeovit, and they suggest not having a refugium with cheato(would be tight in space too), so I was just thinking of having one with rocks, or with copepods hotels. Would this still be a good place for them to live?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of setting up a 45gal, with 2 15gal tanks as sumps. I am planning on running Zeovit, and they suggest not having a refugium with cheato(would be tight in space too), so I was just thinking of having one with rocks, or with copepods hotels. Would this still be a good place for them to live?
The copepod hotel do work, I have a fair few that I move between my large tank and the three smaller ones that I have going. I do however "breed" the pods in a large refugium so whether they would be as efficient on a Zeovit system, I don't know.

Out of curiosity, what is your considerations behind going with the Zeovit system? :)

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The copepod hotel do work, I have a fair few that I move between my large tank and the three smaller ones that I have going. I do however "breed" the pods in a large refugium so whether they would be as efficient on a Zeovit system, I don't know.

Out of curiosity, what is your considerations behind going with the Zeovit system? :)
I used it on my tank I had setup 10 years ago, so I have the reactor, and like the results. I have always liked to feed a lot as well, this seemed to keep the nutrients where I want them.

Is there a reason you would not use it?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pod hotels do work, but you would also be fine with some rock rubble.
Agreed. I have a few rocks I rotate in and out of the sump to (theoretically) "re-pod" the display.

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pod hotels do work, but you would also be fine with some rock rubble.

Agreed. I have a few rocks I rotate in and out of the sump to (theoretically) "re-pod" the display.

I was thinking of trying to print some of the hotels. I should have some left over rocks too. Will probably put both into the sump and see how they go.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of trying to print some of the hotels. I should have some left over rocks too. Will probably put both into the sump and see how they go.
You can also just stack some egg crate or corrugated plastic like this guy did.

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just a thought....
I made my own pod hotels with a few buck's worth of material from HomeDepot or Lowes.

there is a common material called Plaskolite that they stock. used to make yard signs and things like that. Its corrugated and the little spaces are perfectly pod-sized.

here is the HomeDepot link to Plaskolite.

I cut about four or five, 2" squares and glued them (stacked) together.
to make the sink (they are buoyant) I just placed under a rock or glued a rock to it weight it down.

looks like this in my old sump under a rock.
Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 12.04.04 PM.png
Every few weeks I would just retrieve it and shake into the DT and about 40 pods would scramble out.

Perhaps it's worth trying. Certainly cheap and you can just throw it away if its dirty or does not work out for you.
Mine has lasted 4+ years in the tank and its still solid.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
C

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back