Copepods in refuge

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told something similar to that when I was just getting started in this hobby. I’m trying to make sure I do it all the right way so that I’m not losing money. I was wondering if adding to the refuge would be beneficial and from what I understand it is
Sure it is beneficial just as much as adding them to your DT too. The more biodiversity the better.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are worried about “doing it right” and not losing money then 1) get over it …:) and 2) you should try a different hobby such as crafting.
Just sayin’….
So you’re telling me that you haven’t had a fish store to try to sell you something that should not be in your tank at any time of your hobby? I have had one to try to sell me fish that would kill the ones I have. Also had another to try to sell me some chemicals because they thought they knew what was wrong with my water since a coral wasn’t opening (it was due to poor placement on my end).

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a pod hotel from about 8 cents of some corrugated plastic from Home Depot. Will post some pics if interested. Works like a charm.

I actually got it from Lowes...not Home Depot...but I assume HD has it too.

it is called Plaskolite corregated plastic.
the link is here...Plaskolite

its is a good sized sheet and I found some smaller ones that day. You can see on end that it has the corrugated channels.
Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 7.01.17 PM.png

you can easily cut it with heavy scissors or a box cutter.

I cut out about 4 or 5 two-inch squares and superglued them into a stack. I then put a piece of stone tile (that I had lying around) with some superglue to weight it down so it did not float. any stone or river rock or reef rock would do.

IMG_0180.JPG

the little corrugated tunnels seem to be perfectly pod-sized. it ends up being a breeding area.

Every so often, I retrieve them and shake it into the DT and they spill out.

I put about 3 or 4 in my refugium and it seemed to work great.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually got it from Lowes...not Home Depot...but I assume HD has it too.

it is called Plaskolite corregated plastic.
the link is here...Plaskolite

its is a good sized sheet and I found some smaller ones that day. You can see on end that it has the corrugated channels.
Screenshot 2023-01-21 at 7.01.17 PM.png

you can easily cut it with heavy scissors or a box cutter.

I cut out about 4 or 5 two-inch squares and superglued them into a stack. I then put a piece of stone tile (that I had lying around) with some superglue to weight it down so it did not float. any stone or river rock or reef rock would do.

IMG_0180.JPG

the little corrugated tunnels seem to be perfectly pod-sized. it ends up being a breeding area.

Every so often, I retrieve them and shake it into the DT and they spill out.

I put about 3 or 4 in my refugium and it seemed to work great.
Superglue won’t be an issue in saltwater?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the sponge and replace with black mesh filter. Will keep your feather dust out and let the pods flow freely. Sponges tend to clog up with detritus. Good if you clean it frequently. I don't so I don't use them.
209027-filterblack-.jpg

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can remove the sponge and replace with black mesh filter. Will keep your feather dust out and let the pods flow freely. Sponges tend to clog up with detritus. Good if you clean it frequently. I don't so I don't use them.
209027-filterblack-.jpg
I will look into doing that soon. It would help me out some

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re telling me that you haven’t had a fish store to try to sell you something that should not be in your tank at any time of your hobby? I have had one to try to sell me fish that would kill the ones I have. Also had another to try to sell me some chemicals because they thought they knew what was wrong with my water since a coral wasn’t opening (it was due to poor placement on my end).

Not saying that. I am saying, however, that I have had lots of bad star alignment and bad luck, and self-made mistakes, and 'learning opportunities' and a good deal of expense....willingly.

for example, I saw early this morning that my long nosed hawkfish had evidently jumped during the night and instead of bouncing off of the tightly fitting mesh tank cover, he wedged himself IN THE MESH and got stuck to a mortal extent thus killing himself in a desiccated and crispy corpse. dang it!!

its the entire reason I have that cover!....but he managed to find a way to 'defeat it' and himself at the same time. Hate that. what a waste and all despite efforts to prevent.

Poor guy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying that. I am saying, however, that I have had lots of bad star alignment and bad luck, and self-made mistakes, and 'learning opportunities' and a good deal of expense....willingly.

for example, I saw early this morning that my long nosed hawkfish had evidently jumped during the night and instead of bouncing off of the tightly fitting mesh tank cover, he wedged himself IN THE MESH and got stuck to a mortal extent thus killing himself in a desiccated and crispy corpse. dang it!!

its the entire reason I have that cover!....but he managed to find a way to 'defeat it' and himself at the same time. Hate that. what a waste and all despite efforts to prevent.
Sucks to hear that! Stuff like that is what I am expecting for money loss on my end. when I said I wanted to make sure I do it right was for me not just buying something because a store is trying to push a product or a fish that could kill what I currently have

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock rubble is your best bet for Natural reproduction of copepods. Those pod hotels are more geared towards amphipods not copepods

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock rubble is your best bet for Natural reproduction of copepods. Those pod hotels are more geared towards amphipods not copepods
i have rocks in display and my refuge tank to help on that end. Im starting to believe those hotels are a waste of money in my tank since I never see any pods in there or near it

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 178 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.1%

Back