Copepods in refuge

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the pros and cons of dumping copepods in refuge while also adding directly to tank? will I still have to scoop them out to put in tank? please let me know your opinions

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the pros and cons of dumping copepods in refuge while also adding directly to tank? will I still have to scoop them out to put in tank? please let me know your opinions
There is nothing negative about copepods in your fuge. That is what the word refuge is all about.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What benefits would I have with them being in there? I have 2 green mandarin in the tank and I dump a bottle of the copepods near the cube once a week for them to eat.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What benefits would I have with them being in there? I have 2 green mandarin in the tank and I dump a bottle of the copepods near the cube once a week for them to eat.
The idea would be to speed up them colonizing your refugium. Then the overflow end up syck out and pulled back to your display. It's not 100% necessary though as it will happen naturally

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea would be to speed up them colonizing your refugium. Then the overflow end up syck out and pulled back to your display. It's not 100% necessary though as it will happen naturally
i was figuring that dumping them in the refuge would allow them to reproduce more but wasn’t sure with foam block before return pump would hold them back from going straight to the display right away

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a dense filter from between 'fuge and DT then that will 'slow down' the migration to the DT but it will not stop it. they will find a way.
you have to decide if you want/need that sponge anyhow but that is somewhat of a different matter.
the systems are connected...so they will pollenate each other. perhaps slightly slower with a filter....but it will not stop it.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a dense filter from between 'fuge and DT then that will 'slow down' the migration to the DT but it will not stop it. they will find a way.
you have to decide if you want/need that sponge anyhow but that is somewhat of a different matter.
the systems are connected...so they will pollenate each other. perhaps slightly slower with a filter....but it will not stop it.
I have that sponge there to keep my feather duster from going to my return pump. would I need to feed the copepods anything special while they are in my refuge?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was figuring that dumping them in the refuge would allow them to reproduce more but wasn’t sure with foam block before return pump would hold them back from going straight to the display right away
My pods make it past the skimmer and bubble trap to get back to the DT. Kind of like salmon swimming up stream.

Attachments

• 20220827_204318.jpg
    20220827_204318.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 42

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that sponge there to keep my feather duster from going to my return pump. would I need to feed the copepods anything special while they are in my refuge?
no need to specifically feed pods. they will increase their numbers when nutrients and suspended algae/phyto are about...and decrease when not so much.
feeding your more visible livestock (corals, fish, inverts...) per normal course will be all you need.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a pod hotel you can buy and put in the refuge. When you need to feed the display you just take it out and put the hotel into the display. You want the pods in the refuge so that they will reproduce in great numbers.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a pod hotel you can buy and put in the refuge. When you need to feed the display you just take it out and put the hotel into the display. You want the pods in the refuge so that they will reproduce in great numbers.
I have one I keep in the display for when I dump copepods in there. I’m still learning everything about this stuff. my lfs had said something about putting them in the sump but didn’t go into details on anything

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one I keep in the display for when I dump copepods in there. I’m still learning everything about this stuff. my lfs had said something about putting them in the sump but didn’t go into details on anything
Simplest way to look at it is pods everywhere is a good thing. They are highly beneficial to your ecosystem.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simplest way to look at it is pods everywhere is a good thing. They are highly beneficial to your ecosystem.
I was told something similar to that when I was just getting started in this hobby. I’m trying to make sure I do it all the right way so that I’m not losing money. I was wondering if adding to the refuge would be beneficial and from what I understand it is

Jason Scalise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told something similar to that when I was just getting started in this hobby. I’m trying to make sure I do it all the right way so that I’m not losing money. I was wondering if adding to the refuge would be beneficial and from what I understand it is
If you are worried about “doing it right” and not losing money then 1) get over it …:) and 2) you should try a different hobby such as crafting.
Just sayin’….

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back