Copepods or something eating my zoas?

ZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i noticed these lil guys living in my zoas. Are they eating my zoas or are these just copepods.

20160817_101037.png

Beej1254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to tell from the picture. Could be an amphipod, or it could be a nudi. If it's a Nudibranch then it's probably eating your Zoas if you notice they are dying. Can you get a better picture? Or somehow catch it with a turkey baster or something?

OP
OP
ZenReefer

ZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to tell from the picture. Could be an amphipod, or it could be a nudi. If it's a Nudibranch then it's probably eating your Zoas if you notice they are dying. Can you get a better picture? Or somehow catch it with a turkey baster or something?

I had a good video clip but couldn't get it to load. Nudibranch are like a slug type critter right? These guys move around like tiny shrimp kinda.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see it well enough to feel confident to say it's an amphipod. If it's not, it's an isopod.

OP
OP
ZenReefer

ZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amphipods destroyed two colonies I had going. Then I introduced 'Kevin' the sixline.

I had a sixline in my last tank and loved him. Ive been hesitant this go around cause everyone says they get aggressive, but i never had any issues last go around. Now with my zoas slowly thinning the six line is back on the fish to get list.

OP
OP
ZenReefer

ZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched some youtube of people having same issues. They are definitely Amphipods.

Beej1254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. So yeah that's interesting. I've never heard of Amphipods eating zoas, but I guess it happens with some. I searched around and found some experience to support it at least. Learn something new every day.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat and watched one polyp twitching and the dang pod was eating it from the inside!!!

OP
OP
ZenReefer

ZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. So yeah that's interesting. I've never heard of Amphipods eating zoas, but I guess it happens with some. I searched around and found some experience to support it at least. Learn something new every day.
Thats why i was confused. I thought they looked like copepods/amphipods and thought they were a good thing, but my radioactive zoas have been thinning out and i actually found a polyp floating around last night so i knew something was up. Gonna do some six line shopping this weekend, lol.

OP
OP
ZenReefer

ZenReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how hard is it to get mandarin gobys to eat frozen food? Id rather have a mandarin than a six line that may become an butt in the long run, but dont want the mandarin to starve once the pods are gone.

jsh mee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know first hand they do. They will pick out a head in perfectly healthy colonies and chew it to a nub. I've even had them kill a few small frags as well. The little jerks will chew it them alive even while they're open from the base so I know they're not eating dead flesh. I have a big dragonet and a target goby that hardly put a dent in the amphipod population in my 120.

jsh mee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats why i was confused. I thought they looked like copepods/amphipods and thought they were a good thing, but my radioactive zoas have been thinning out and i actually found a polyp floating around last night so i knew something was up. Gonna do some six line shopping this weekend, lol.
They are good unless they grow an appetite for zoas :/. Maybe it's like when I chicken eats one of its own eggs, realizes how good they are and then starts cracking them all lol. Honestly I haven't seen them completely ravish anything, but I do sometimes worry when I put a small frag in, but i've kind of figured out where the danger zones are.
So how hard is it to get mandarin gobys to eat frozen food? Id rather have a mandarin than a six line that may become an *** in the long run, but dont want the mandarin to starve once the pods are gone.

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how hard is it to get mandarin gobys to eat frozen food? Id rather have a mandarin than a six line that may become an *** in the long run, but dont want the mandarin to starve once the pods are gone.
Help me sixline kenobi! You're my only hope!

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sixline in my last tank and loved him. Ive been hesitant this go around cause everyone says they get aggressive, but i never had any issues last go around. Now with my zoas slowly thinning the six line is back on the fish to get list.
I introduced a 6line 2 do just that. Did he? No as he slept when they came out. Then adding fish u have 2 remove him as he'll kill anything. He killed a male clown I introduced and turned sideways and nailed him. Have a vid but can't upload it. But I removed him and never will get a 6 line again. He litterally beat the clown 2 death. Y? I was so ticked as was a Darwin clown$$. So now I use mandarin for cop and amp control and haven't seen em like they were these days. So unless u wanna catch that fish every time u introduce anything don't buy. He even attacked a Kenya tree I added for 3 hits then stopped then the male the next day. He was gorgeous but 6 lines r on my never get list

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back