Copepods with a cannister filter

jeflen651

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has a reef tank that uses a oversized Aquatop 5oo canister filter instead of a sump for a 40 gallon breeder tank. Also has a HOB protein skimmer. He is very diligent about keeping the system clean and all of his parameters are in good shape. He wants to introduce copepods to the system so that he can have a Mandarin or Scooter goby. What effect if any will the canister filter present? Will the copepods reproduce once the goby is introduced? How often will the copepods need to be replenished? Thanks for your help.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has a reef tank that uses a oversized Aquatop 5oo canister filter instead of a sump for a 40 gallon breeder tank. Also has a HOB protein skimmer. He is very diligent about keeping the system clean and all of his parameters are in good shape. He wants to introduce copepods to the system so that he can have a Mandarin or Scooter goby. What effect if any will the canister filter present? Will the copepods reproduce once the goby is introduced? How often will the copepods need to be replenished? Thanks for your help.
What size tank is it?
What kind of filtration does he use in his canister?

OP
OP
jeflen651

jeflen651

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 40 gallon breeder. He uses fiber pads with carbon and GFO as needed

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40g is borderline for a mandarin. They consume ahuge amount of pods. A canister filter can act as a sort of refugium for pods to breed, depending on media.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 40 gallon breeder. He uses fiber pads with carbon and GFO as needed
My bad... I thought you were saying he was using the canister instead of using a 40g breeder as a sump.

Definitely agree with eatbreakfast. A mandy can eat hundreds of pods a day. You can modify the filter to use as a refugium but then it can't really be used as a filter.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic media and floss media will serve as biological media, partial mechanical filtration, and refugia.

OP
OP
jeflen651

jeflen651

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if he was to say put in 1000 copepods a couple of weeks prior to introducing a mandarin goby or a scooter blenny would they start reproducing? Should he continue putting copepods in weekly, or monthly to supply the system?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if he was to say put in 1000 copepods a couple of weeks prior to introducing a mandarin goby or a scooter blenny would they start reproducing? Should he continue putting copepods in weekly, or monthly to supply the system?
They will multiply, but a mandarin can quickly deplete a pod population. They will eat several thousand pods a day. Letting the pod population stabilize for six+ months prior to a mandarin's introduction will help.

One Person

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a 36 gallon w/a Mand. Drag. I’ve had him now over a year with no problem. I have a small hang-on-back refugium, w/ micro algae and a copepod hotel. I added my copepods directly to the refugium, and the population has been constant. The overflow from the refugium constantly supplies the DT. I add more copepods to the refugium every quarter. Hope this helps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back