Copper Band Butterfly Death

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on vacation for a week, and left my tanks in a relatives care. They were fed daily and well taken care of. When I came back, everything was fine, but I could not find my CBB. I looked on my mp40, and found the remains :( I noticed that most of my emerald entree cubes were used up, instead of my frozen mysis. Do you think that a not very meaty diet would be enough to kill my CBB? I am pretty sure that was fed instead of the mysis. I checked my apex, and the temp never went above 80. THe fish was fat and healthy when I left. I don't think I will be going on vacation again, especially if I want to get into even more finicky fish.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have him? I've always wanted one due to aptasia but I hear they are extremely hard to keep in a tank.

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him a few months, they starve really fast, just feed them well and they are fine.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's prob it...I hear most only last a few months regardless. Captivity thing.

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I've thought about trying one, but trying to get a regal angel to eat is enough for me to stick with tangs or whatever I know eats anything. Weird thing is I have a potter's wrasse that eats flakes or whatever he can with the tangs. My regal now hasn't touched anything yet even though he came in eating pellets and mysis very well. He hasn't lost any weight so he's eating..... ?.... Good luck if you get another.

chris13115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to take care of aipastia, matted or bristletail filefish is better. Butterfly fish are awesome, but are too hard to keep. [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]anemone keeper i am very sorry for your loss, I hope you your tank recovers.

keep reefin

Chris[/FONT]

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was doing very well. Turns out he was fed the algae instead of mysis. Kinda like giving a tiger lettuce :( I will get another, and be VERY clear on what must be fed the next time I leave.

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CBB about a year in my tank now. Fat and happy, I feed one little neck clam per day on the half shell.

Reef Fixations

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I've thought about trying one, but trying to get a regal angel to eat is enough for me to stick with tangs or whatever I know eats anything. Weird thing is I have a potter's wrasse that eats flakes or whatever he can with the tangs. My regal now hasn't touched anything yet even though he came in eating pellets and mysis very well. He hasn't lost any weight so he's eating..... ?.... Good luck if you get another.

I haven't had much success with them either but hope this helps:

Try taking a mixture of mysis, nori, selcon, garlic frozen krill, Pellet, flake if you'd like and make a paste out of it and mash it onto a very porous rock with tiny poors and divets. One person mentioned something to me called a "grazing block" and had success with it. They like a lot of live rock too. They'll usually pick at nori as well. The idea is that being that they like to graze, they may be more inclined to pick at the rock with food mashed into it and hopefully as the food drifts off and it recognizes itas food it will get him eating out of the water column again.

I always got them eating just never got them eating enough but I had greater success when they were in QT with a lot of live rock.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back