Copper band butterfly, what to know?

frankieg2293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new copper band butterfly, put him in the tank and domino damsel ate most of his back fins and tail off. The fins are starting to grow back but have no color to them they are just clear. will the fins gain color back after fully grown back in ?

also what should I know about this fish in particular eating habits and so on?

Your pictures of your butterfly are welcome here...

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you can edit the thread only posts. Either way fins can grow back but you have to stop the aggression. A copperband was frankly not a great choice if you haven't already researched how to get it eating. Copperbands can often be tempted to eat with live worms black or white, or sometimes raw clams. Mine eats aiptasia, clam, scallops, shrimp, mysis, worms.

OP
OP
frankieg2293

frankieg2293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you can edit the thread only posts. Either way fins can grow back but you have to stop the aggression. A copperband was frankly not a great choice if you haven't already researched how to get it eating. Copperbands can often be tempted to eat with live worms black or white, or sometimes raw clams. Mine eats aiptasia, clam, scallops, shrimp, mysis, worms.
I had him for about 2 weeks now so he must be eating something I have been feeding frozen mysis and occasional live brine. Live brine can be fun to grow from eggs btw and I think the coral sometimes eat it as well.
I love reefing. So much interesting things to learn with every detailed aspect of the hobby

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A domino damselfish is an extremely aggressive fish, keeping one with a very timid fish like a copperband isn't a good idea
Agreed. Domino damsel is one of the nastiest fish I have had the displeasure of keeping. After trying traps, catching with a miniature fishing hook, and even making a small harpoon to spear the bugger I ended up pulling all of the rock to catch and remove it. This was a 6ft tank full of rock but that was one nasty fish and it had to go.

EDIT : I think #moderator can change the title? 20231124_143641.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just got a new copper band butterfly, put him in the tank and domino damsel ate most of his back fins and tail off. The fins are starting to grow back but have no color to them they are just clear. will the fins gain color back after fully grown back in ?

also what should I know about this fish in particular eating habits and so on?

Your pictures of your butterfly are welcome here...
Dont isolate the domino but place it in the special tank shown below. They are a nightmare and near impossible to catch. There is no pic of CBB but if just nipped will grow back

Best tank for a domino:

1705586002087.png

Last edited:

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had him for about 2 weeks now so he must be eating something I have been feeding frozen mysis and occasional live brine. Live brine can be fun to grow from eggs btw and I think the coral sometimes eat it as well.
I love reefing. So much interesting things to learn with every detailed aspect of the hobby
Just realize these fish eat an enormous amount of food compared to others. If you are not seeing it eat then I would get some live worms. Do you have pics? You want to see this area as convex and not concave.
cbb.jpg

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Domino damsel is one of the nastiest fish I have had the displeasure of keeping. After trying traps, catching with a miniature fishing hook, and even making a small harpoon to spear the bugger I ended up pulling all of the rock to catch and remove it. This was a 6ft tank full of rock but that was one nasty fish and it had to go.

EDIT : I think #moderator can change the title? 20231124_143641.jpg
Nice Cbb. Female? Mines forehead is less angled back more straight from the eye up thinking its male.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t seeing the copperband eat then it likely isn’t eating, or at least not enough to survive.
Start trying different foods to make sure it is eating. If not I doubt it will survive long term. They are often hard to get eating, but once they are eating well they’re a fairly hardy fish IME.

I had to grow live white worms to feed mine for a year before it finally started eating frozen food.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back