Copper band refusing to eat!!!

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Last week I had to remove all of my fish to treat for ich and I only saw my copperband pick at the rock in the Dt but in the Qt I don’t have any rock in there. I’ve tried feeding it frozen, clams, frozen bloodworms and live Blackworms but he just won’t eat. Any suggestions? Thanks☹️

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some muscles and just smash a couple and throw them in ...mine goes berserk when I do it ...

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some muscles and just smash a couple and throw them in ...mine goes berserk when I do it ...
live your saying? Might be worth a shot.
I have 2 newer ones eating blackworms but it took a couple weeks of everyday offerings before they would try them. They still won't touch any frozen.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use a frozen mussel but live will be fine. my copperband never ate flake at all but he did take to frozen mysis. I’ve never seen one touch flake.

If he is being outcompeted for the food you put in then a feeder pipe may be worth trying. You need to get him feeding as soon as you can though as there seems to be a point of no return for them.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
live your saying? Might be worth a shot.
I have 2 newer ones eating blackworms but it took a couple weeks of everyday offerings before they would try them. They still won't touch any frozen.
Yes live ....I collect from the beach ...wash in rodi water....smash with hammer and toss them in ......

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let everyone know that my copperband has taken a turn for the worst. Before I left to get some mussels and clams he started laying on his side so I put him in my 10 gal nano ( only has 2 clowns in it) away from the bigger fish in QT and him the option of of a clam or a mussel. So far I haven’t seen him eat. I hope he makes it through the night . He is swimming as I type this so I have some hope.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to let everyone know that my copperband has taken a turn for the worst. Before I left to get some mussels and clams he started laying on his side so I put him in my 10 gal nano ( only has 2 clowns in it) away from the bigger fish in QT and him the option of of a clam or a mussel. So far I haven’t seen him eat. I hope he makes it through the night . He is swimming as I type this so I have some hope.
I hope he makes it too.....mine is by far my favourite fish in my tank...lots of personality...fingers and thumbs crossed for you ...

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? There are a few resident experts we can tag if you need them

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this is par for the course on most copper bands. I went through 2 that wouldn't eat before I called it quits.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live mussels, live blackworms, clam on a halfshell, masstick, and live brine are your best bets, and in that order. Low stress and clean water helps.

Feed and step back. If ammonia is present or aggressive feeders/boisterous fish are present it may not feed.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update? There are a few resident experts we can tag if you need them
I wish I could give a good update but sadly he didnt make through the night . I might try another one down the road but it will probly be after all of my other fish get out of QT. Thank you all for your help.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could give a good update but sadly he didnt make through the night . I might try another one down the road but it will probly be after all of my other fish get out of QT. Thank you all for your help.
Dang ...!!! I'm sorry for your loss ....

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about that, copper bands are usually a 50/50 shot on survival

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tough. I was going to suggest dividing the QT so the CB would be in a section by itself until it got eating really well. From the sound of it yours was likely already weak before going into QT. Once they are really eating well I have found them to be able to compete fine with aggressive eaters.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back