Copper for Valentine puffer

cale_tino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Valentini puffer who has ick and I put him in a QT tank and I’m using copper power it it 2.5 ppm, should he be fine? just curious because I heard that puffer fish are sensitive to copper, he’s in a 5.5 gallon tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Valentini puffer who has ick and I put him in a QT tank and I’m using copper power it it 2.5 ppm, should he be fine? just curious because I heard that puffer fish are sensitive to copper, he’s in a 5.5 gallon tank.
They dont do well in higher levels. You can treat at 2.0- 2.2 and add aeration via air stone. This is technically a freshwater specimen converted to salt. Best source is coppersafe but they tolerate chloroquine phosphate a little better

Coral Theory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had better luck using the tank transfer method with Valentinis instead of copper

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont do well in higher levels. You can treat at 2.0- 2.2 and add aeration via air stone. This is technically a freshwater specimen converted to salt. Best source is coppersafe but they tolerate chloroquine phosphate a little better

A valentini? Freshwater?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A valentini? Freshwater?
Brackish and often from the indian ocean. I sold freshwater version as well as figure 8, saddleback and other canthigaster and over the years, valentini and toby puffers have been sold exclusively as saltwater and now found in red seaand given a salinity range of 1.019-1.024.
Im off to sleep but of you google, should be able to find data on freshwater valentini.
here is one exerp. . . .

OP
OP
cale_tino

cale_tino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brackish and often from the indian ocean. I sold freshwater version as well as figure 8, saddleback and other canthigaster and over the years, valentini and toby puffers have been sold exclusively as saltwater and now found in red seaand given a salinity range of 1.019-1.024.
Im off to sleep but of you google, should be able to find data on freshwater valentini.
here is one exerp. . . .

Salt

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use copper power at 2.25 ppm. Puffers are sensitive to ionic copper, not amine chelated copper like this.
How severe is the ich though? Copper power is slow to work, and fish can die from ich while being treated if the infection is moderate….

Hyposalinity is another viable option.

Be careful though, while a 5 gallon tank is large enough for this fish, you MUST manage the ammonia through good biological filtration.

Jay

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back