Copper Gone...Maybe?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my math for the water changes I have done and Cuprisorb, the copper should be completely gone from my tank by now. However my Hanna checker is still reading 0.04 over a couple different tests.

Could it be leeching from something? No rock or sand, just pvc pipes. Could it maybe be from the filter media?

According to the Hanna's instructions, it has an accuracy of +/- 0.05. Seems like a pretty large error bar for something that requires a pretty specific dosage. Anyways, if I am understanding that correctly, it is possible I have zero copper, but the hanna is still registering?

I'm inclined to believe it's gone because ever since my last water change, copepods have covered every square inch of glass.

What do you think? Suggestions?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the filter media? Is the tank glass w silicon seal (I’ve heard those leach sometimes)? I...recommend biological uptake ie macroalgaes :p . Are you holding off on corals or something in order to get copper levels down?

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A combination of filter floss and aquaclear sponges.

Glass with silicone. I have heard that, but I have also heard it is false?

I thought copper would kill macro algae? Not that I have any on hand.

This is actually my display tank. Or more accurately my former display. I removed all my rock, sand, corals and inverts to treat for Velvet, as I did not have a QT at the time, hence y'know, the velvet.

I really want to put my rock and everything back in to actually have a proper display again, but I know if there is any copper, the rock will absorb it to randomly leech out and kill corals/inverts.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I’ve heard that if you fill the tank with something acidic like vinegar, it helps leach more copper out. You could also do cross tests with RO/DI water or freshly mixed salt to determine if it’s really false positives as well!

Regsrding copper killing macros: anything will kill something else in the right amount. If it’s as small as .05 ppm, I’d be willing to bet a small amount of disposable chaeto that macroalgaes could uptake it for later disposal.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d just run your tank like normal but keep a bag of cuprisorb in there as insurance. That what I did and never had any issues.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Cuprisorb in there right now. Unfortunately all I had in hand was chelated copper, not ionic, so it's super slow. Have poly filter on the way too.

Might give that a shot. And just give it a few more days and tests before inverts. I didn't plan on the removal process taking so long.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that the Hanna Hi-range Copper Checker (excellent for monitoring copper treatments) is not as accurate at very low ranges; could your 0.04 really be zero? Just a thought. Best wishes.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's kind of what I am thinking, might be zero, but I have no other test.

It's the copepods that make me think so. They vanished the day after I started dosing copper, and now they're back in the thousands. I'm certain like all other inverts they are killed by copper.

I just don't want to chuck a bunch of copper sensitive critters in there and have them all die. :/. Is dilemma.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my math for the water changes I have done and Cuprisorb, the copper should be completely gone from my tank by now. However my Hanna checker is still reading 0.04 over a couple different tests.

Could it be leeching from something? No rock or sand, just pvc pipes. Could it maybe be from the filter media?

According to the Hanna's instructions, it has an accuracy of +/- 0.05. Seems like a pretty large error bar for something that requires a pretty specific dosage. Anyways, if I am understanding that correctly, it is possible I have zero copper, but the hanna is still registering?

I'm inclined to believe it's gone because ever since my last water change, copepods have covered every square inch of glass.

What do you think? Suggestions?

I would not rely on this device at these levels. This device is not suitable for monitoring copper in a reef tank at these low levels. At the low end it is not accurate, as has been shown by people who have gotten results like you, then done ICP and seen little to no copper.

Many folks see detectable opper with it, and few see anywhere near that much by ICP.

I would get an ICP test if you are concerned about copper.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative, thank you.
Might do that. If I can find an icp test locally.

Just don't get it from icp analysis dot com. i do not have confidence in them.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back