Copper in Display

https://www.triton.de/en/

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
So my ATI results shows Copper at 7.09 micrograms per liter. I tested with Hanna high ranger copper checker and got .07 ppm. Are these levels problematic for SPS corals?

Thanks!
Mark

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Those two numbers differ by a factor of 10. My tank has been higher than the 7 ppb without apparent issue, but the particular organics the copper binds to impacts toxicity a lot. I’d ignore the Hanna value as I think
The icp is likely more accurate.

Crabs McJones

Mayor Of Reef2Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Keep in mind also, that the hannah copper checker has an accuracy of +/- .05 ppm. So you could really be at the lowest .02ppm or at the high end .12 ppm
Agree that I'd trust the icp test over hannah in this case

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
So the value, assuming you did everything perfectly And Hanna knows the uncertainty correctly is 70 +/- 50 ppb. I don’t think that is a useful test for a normal reef tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
Overboard

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
I realize the Hanna test is not as accurate as ATI, but I tested my new batch of SW and it tested at the same reading as my display, .07. Like Randy said, way off the ATI result. But when I tested my RO/DI water, it was .02. Maybe the test is not sufficiently accurate for this to matter, but one guess is the old (really old) Eheim pump I use to mix SW might be leaching into the water. Even though there were no other metals detected in the ATI test, I pulled it just to be safe. I don’t have the ATI results on my RO/DI yet, but that will be helpful.

Thanks!!

https://www.triton.de/en/

Do you believe that a long term benefit of changing out your water is diluting your mistakes?

• Yes

Votes: 246 53.9%
  • No

Votes: 61 13.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 73 16.0%
  • Haven't really thought about that

Votes: 76 16.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors