Copper in tank from ICP. How to get rid of it?

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Triton ICP back and I have a small amount of Copper - 6 microgram/L and aluminum of 15. I don’t see any metal in my tank although I do have a couple of magnet mounts. None seem to be cracked or corroding. I’m using Tropic Marin Pro salt, have an 7 stage BRS Rodi and dosing BRS pharma 2 part. Any thoughts on where it’s coming from and how to remove it? I do a 10% AWC a week as well.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Triton ICP back and I have a small amount of Copper - 6 microgram/L and aluminum of 15. I don’t see any metal in my tank although I do have a couple of magnet mounts. None seem to be cracked or corroding. I’m using Tropic Marin Pro salt, have an 7 stage BRS Rodi and dosing BRS pharma 2 part. Any thoughts on where it’s coming from and how to remove it? I do a 10% AWC a week as well.
Is that actually a dangerous level or only a tiny bit higher than expected? I'd find that out fist if you're not sure.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I included the report below. It’s borderline it says
I meant the LD-50 ( as in a dose that could harm or kill something)...it's probably far from dangerous if you check the LD-50 of copper on Google but if it gives peace of mind then nothings wrong with that. Cuprisorb or Metasorb will work but I'd really assess whether it actually is a concern before spending the money.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1700273631043.png

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like it would also be weird to have only 1 single metal present in high levels as well but for peace of mind , I guess you might as well use cuprisorb or Metasorb

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that level is a problem but there are a variety of binders (cuprisorb, metasorb, polyfilter) that will lower it (and may lower things you’d rather not be lowered).
Thanks. So just let it be? Do you think I should be concerned with the lower levels of manganese and iron? I’m running a fuge. I have tropic Marin’s A and K I can start adding to my BRS two part. Or I might just swap to triton.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So just let it be? Do you think I should be concerned with the lower levels of manganese and iron? I’m running a fuge. I have tropic Marin’s A and K I can start adding to my BRS two part. Or I might just swap to triton.

Manganese and iron rapidly deplete and I think it is reasonable for folks to consider dosing to see if it is useful.

Other elements may also be useful. Trial and error dosing is the best way to know. Icp is not a panacea for knowing if there is enough or too much, despite these companies asserting otherwise. In many cases they know nothing about the chemical forms of the trace elements present so cannot know if the amount they detect is optimal or not. For example, if they reported 2 ppm N, that would be fine if the chemical form was nitrate and not so fine if the chemical form was ammonia.

Keep in mind these two dirty little secrets of icp companies:

1. Not all icp results from all icp companies are likely to be accurate.

2. They know little about chemical forms present.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manganese and iron rapidly deplete and I think it is reasonable for folks to consider dosing to see if it is useful.

Other elements may also be useful. Trial and error dosing is the best way to know. Icp is not a panacea for knowing if there is enough or too much, despite these companies asserting otherwise. In many cases they know nothing about the chemical forms of the trace elements present so cannot know if the amount they detect is optimal or not. For example, if they reported 2 ppm N, that would be fine if the chemical form was nitrate and not so fine if the chemical form was ammonia.

After reading your point #2, I really doubt that they're so accurate (no idea what the standard deviation may be just like none of us do). That's a great point I hadn't thought about. These companies are providing a service for a hobby of the average person...this is far from life or death or any need for what extreme accuracy would require so why would they logically conduct the tests beyond what's necessary? Plus, nobody knows for sure how accurate they are and that in itself gives them a sort of cover if they were detecting chemicals forms or metabolites that weren't actually of any concern. I wouldnt get one done personally. What's the point if you don't know how accurate it is? I wouldn't get tested for herpes if the accuracy wasn't established and considered highly accurate either.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your wisdom and help.

OP
OP
A

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading your point #2, I really doubt that they're so accurate (no idea what the standard deviation may be just like none of us do). That's a great point I hadn't thought about. These companies are providing a service for a hobby of the average person...this is far from life or death or any need for what extreme accuracy would require so why would they logically conduct the tests beyond what's necessary? Plus, nobody knows for sure how accurate they are and that in itself gives them a sort of cover if they were detecting chemicals forms or metabolites that weren't actually of any concern. I wouldnt get one done personally. What's the point if you don't know how accurate it is? I wouldn't get tested for herpes if the accuracy wasn't established and considered highly accurate either.
I suspect like with most things in business, their goal is to use the results to sell you stuff and not necessarily to be helpful or accurate. I’m sure the only thing keeping a lot of those companies honest and as close to accurate as possible is that there’s competition and if someone checked 2 different ones and they were both way off, it would end up online.

My main reason for sending the ICP was because I was having some diatom issues and inconsistent results between a Hanna salinity checker and a Milwaukee….. turns out the Hanna was actually the accurate one.

I have been considering switching to triton though. The new flex stuff they have allowing you to mix it all as 2 part is kinda intriguing and will allow me to free up 2 dosing pumps. I’m hoping that will address the trace element issues I’m having on the ICP. I suspect it’s low because I’m running a refugium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back