How to trust ICP Testing

Klemmetsmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just venting, and wondering, about icp tests. Lately I’ve been discovering wildly different icp test results from different companies. I know they’re testing very small amounts of elements, but shouldn’t they at least be close? For example, my receipt icp from Triton reports 0 copper but a week prior a Moonshiners icp showed 3 for copper. There are other elements that make me doubt the results but it’s frustrating because the copper result made me panic and I bought absorber. I’m inclined to believe Triton and not do anything because the tank looks fine with the exception of my Goniapora that is closed up… Now who to trust? Should I trust any of them? Do you trust any of them?

How do you guys handle this? Do you just use one ICP company and run with it?

Frustrated

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to remember any organics you capture when sampling the water (most copper is bound to organics), is likely why you see such different results. Just because you can’t see the particulates doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

i used copper as my example but it goes for any traces which can be expected to be found in the food.

Also LOD is small.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just venting, and wondering, about icp tests. Lately I’ve been discovering wildly different icp test results from different companies. I know they’re testing very small amounts of elements, but shouldn’t they at least be close? For example, my receipt icp from Triton reports 0 copper but a week prior a Moonshiners icp showed 3 for copper. There are other elements that make me doubt the results but it’s frustrating because the copper result made me panic and I bought absorber. I’m inclined to believe Triton and not do anything because the tank looks fine with the exception of my Goniapora that is closed up… Now who to trust? Should I trust any of them? Do you trust any of them?

How do you guys handle this? Do you just use one ICP company and run with it?

Frustrated

Triton and Oceamo (presume that's what you mean by moonshiners) use different types of machines with different lower limits of detection. One can easily get a situation where the same actual value will show zero by ICP-OES (Triton) that will give a value by ICP-MS (Oceamo).

3 ppb copper does not, IMO, warrant any substantial action.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never done one. My understanding is that many variables like testing method, sample collection and handling, and human error all play a part in the inconsistencies. It seems more like another subscription plan that the industry tried to convince us to adopt.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So short answer is...you don't. They can be widely inaccurate for a whole number of reasons.

I still do them, I just always take them with a grain of salt :face-with-hand-over-mouth: and use it more as a flood light to help find potential issues, not a spotlight to say "here's the problem".

There are certain trace elements, like Iron and Copper than come back very inaccurate from ICP tests. If you're really interested in tracking them I would suggest testing them yourself at home.

These articles by @Rick Mathew are really good for sorting out this issue:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are certain trace elements, like Iron and Copper than come back very inaccurate from ICP tests. If you're really interested in tracking them I would suggest testing them yourself at home.

For iron and copper? I don't think that is possible unless the values are very high. The spike tests in the last link are very high values, IMO.

OP
OP
Klemmetsmo

Klemmetsmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton and Oceamo (presume that's what you mean by moonshiners) use different types of machines with different lower limits of detection. One can easily get a situation where the same actual value will show zero by ICP-OES (Triton) that will give a value by ICP-MS (Oceamo).

3 ppb copper does not, IMO, warrant any substantial action.
Thank you Randy!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back