Copper removal from live rock

CPratt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the best methods of removing copper from live rock? I was given bad advice when setting up my system and used a brass fittings thus causing heavy metals in my tank. Getting rid of the rock is not an option for it came from indo and was very expensive. I have removed all fish from tank and placed into a qt to treat for velvet so now would be the best for any drastic measures. Thanks for advice.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the best methods of removing copper from live rock? I was given bad advice when setting up my system and used a brass fittings thus causing heavy metals in my tank. Getting rid of the rock is not an option for it came from indo and was very expensive. I have removed all fish from tank and placed into a qt to treat for velvet so now would be the best for any drastic measures. Thanks for advice.
So here is a possible solution that does not require you throwing the rock out.
Use a quality carbon (such as ROX 0.8) and either Seachem Cuprisorb or TLF Metalsorb UHC. This should reduce the copper amount. The brass fitting prob did not leech too much. You can also replace the sand at this time. Test for copper now and again in a few weeks and see how it goes.

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely replace the sand.

Maybe put your rock in a curing tub and add a powerhead. Test for copper and dilute it out over time by changing and replacing water.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back