Copper removal/hannna

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about two weeks ago I began pulling copper out of display, no inverts corals etc.

Started at 2.0, 50 percent water change brought it to 1 and change, another 50 percent water change a few days later had it at .5.

I then out in my filter pads, which was cuprisorb, carbon in a bag, and a polyfilter.

First few days, it went down to. 3 or so, and last night it was .1.

I then did a 50 percent water change, figure knock it down to .05, help the pads a bit. I then tested the water an hour or so later, and Came up .1 again. Threw in another poly filter pad, checked today, and it was the same.

Figured that was impossible,’didn’t budge after big water change, so I then tested new saltwater batch, Hanna checker came back .05

Thinking salt was interfering, I checked output of rodi, .05 again. My tds has risen from 3 tds to 7, so I changed sediment, carbon and do, 0 tds, ran a half hour, tested copper, still .05.

Then went to lfs, checked there 0 tds rodi wanted, .05.

So either the checker is not that great at low range, or myself as lfs have copper even after rodi of 0 tds.

I checked again tonight on my tank, and came back .2. Now the one variable I did change tonight was I usually place vial in tank and fill that way, before washing off with tap and wiping down with eye glass rag, I used the syringe I used to dose copper, even tho I rinsed it out a dozen times, perhaps it is making the reading high just from that.

I did buy 3 cheap frags, spas, favia and some other lps, because in my mind I should be very close to zero, even tho the checker isn’t budging moments after a 50 percent change.

I’m going to do 1 big water change tonight, 60 percent or so, throw in a bag of carbon, and see what tomorrow morning reads.

Leaching could be a factor , however, for a week or so it did, .3 to .4 to .5 before stabilizing and going down.

Anyone else have this issue with checker, even reading rodi as .05?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hannah checker does note that it is accurate +/- .05ppm so for your tests to come back with .05 isnt uncommon even though your system has no copper in it.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, it's a 'high range' copper checker, accuracy at the lower end of the range is limited.
It's very unlikely that any 0 TDS water will have a copper level that this checker can measure.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about the .05ppm reading.

I was getting readings of 75ppb on RODI water with the low range tester. It's never created any issues.

Since you used in a display I would continue to run your media because you could have some copper that was absorbed by LR etc during treatment that is now leaching out.

OP
OP
W

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. .05 variance isn’t bad when you’re looking at 1.95 or 1.90, but .05 and 0 is cringeworthy lol.

I’m going to do the change tonight, run the material to absorb it, and let the snails and frags be my canary

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back