Copper removal help

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, Randy. I have a 80g system that I just received my Triton ICP tests results back and it shows I have 5 micrograms per liter of copper. I disassembled and inspected all of my equipment, mag cleaners, and Frag racks and can not find any rotting or rusting. I have a 7 stage RODI system that is testing 0 TDS.
The only thing I can for sure say is that in December I had a Tunze magnet rust badly and I threw it out and ran a poly filter pad for roughly two weeks. It never changed color but I was told they don’t always color change. So I assumed it just worked. Could that incident still be the issue in my system? Could it be leaching from the Florida dry rock I started my system with? I ordered some Triton Detox and am running carbon in the mean time until the Detox comes in.

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my test results

Attachments

• Cody's 120G Reef - 02_25_2021 (B-oGnOWD).pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 29

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, Randy. I have a 80g system that I just received my Triton ICP tests results back and it shows I have 5 micrograms per liter of copper. I disassembled and inspected all of my equipment, mag cleaners, and Frag racks and can not find any rotting or rusting. I have a 7 stage RODI system that is testing 0 TDS.
The only thing I can for sure say is that in December I had a Tunze magnet rust badly and I threw it out and ran a poly filter pad for roughly two weeks. It never changed color but I was told they don’t always color change. So I assumed it just worked. Could that incident still be the issue in my system? Could it be leaching from the Florida dry rock I started my system with? I ordered some Triton Detox and am running carbon in the mean time until the Detox comes in.

I suspect its the rock. Rust usually showed up as aluminium. I had some rust in my tank from older mp10 and probe mount magnets. Icp test showed high tin and aluminium. No copper

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect its the rock. Rust usually showed up as aluminium. I had some rust in my tank from older mp10 and probe mount magnets. Icp test showed high tin and aluminium. No copper
It’s the first test on this system so yes. If it’s from the rock what on earth do I do?

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the first test on this system so yes. If it’s from the rock what on earth do I do?
Best scenario would be the combination of cuprisorb, poly filter, and detox took it out and that's it.

I suggest buy a copper test kit. Hopefully it can be detected with a regular test kit. So you can regularly test to see if it's still leaching out or not

Njdevils1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best scenario would be the combination of cuprisorb, poly filter, and detox took it out and that's it.

I suggest buy a copper test kit. Hopefully it can be detected with a regular test kit. So you can regularly test to see if it's still leaching out or not
I’ve just never heard of dry base rock containing copper.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back