Copper safe or copper power

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I’m getting ready to treat for ick again in my tank which I’ve been doing for about two years. I’ve been using copper power for the last two years and apparently keeps them at bay parasites in there for about two months after copper treatment. I was thinking about using copper safe for the next 30 days instead of copper power has anyone use both of them and has a preference to which one works a little better. Thank you for your time. It is fish only tank 600 gallon tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello everyone I’m getting ready to treat for ick again in my tank which I’ve been doing for about two years. I’ve been using copper power for the last two years and apparently keeps them at bay parasites in there for about two months after copper treatment. I was thinking about using copper safe for the next 30 days instead of copper power has anyone use both of them and has a preference to which one works a little better. Thank you for your time. It is fish only tank 600 gallon tank
They are both very similar and treat at the same therapeutic levels of 2.25-2.5 for a full 30days
Are you dosing the display tank?

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never heard that. I use copper power and it has worked well in past at levels beheld at 2.5ppm for 30 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coppersafe, but not because of any decision not to use copper power, I've just used coppersafe since the 1980's and sort of just stuck with it. I did use ionic copper for many years, but had too much toxicity and dosing issues with it.

Jay

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have had this problem for last 4 years they go away for couple months come back and fish are too big to transfer no room
I know it is a big tank, but if you are already dosing copper to it why not bring it up to the full therapeutic levels and kill the ich? Then do water changes to get the copper out mostly. I can't imagine the fish are enjoying constantly being in copper water and having their gills irritated.

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is a big tank, but if you are already dosing copper to it why not bring it up to the full therapeutic levels and kill the ich? Then do water changes to get the copper out mostly. I can't imagine the fish are enjoying constantly being in copper water and having their gills irritated.
Last time I had copper and was in November, so you’re saying to me is I should bring it up to the therapeutic level by 1.5 for a few weeks. Thanks for your time please explain just a little more I’m lost on this

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Last time I had copper and was in November, so you’re saying to me is I should bring it up to the therapeutic level by 1.5 for a few weeks. Thanks for your time please explain just a little more I’m lost on this
1.5 is too low and may be your issue. You have really never addressed the treatment regimen properly.
Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Get to level in 24 hours- do not ramp it up.

OP
OP
P

puccie1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 is too low and may be your issue. You have really never addressed the treatment regimen properly.
Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Get to level in 24 hours- do not ramp it up.
Donna, whatever I got in there is somewhat resistant and resilient do it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Donna, whatever I got in there is somewhat resistant and resilient do it
Issue is, either you are treating for the wrong issue as you state you dont know what you have or the 1.5 you were treating at is Not enough especially for number of fish

Can you post a couple of pictures under white lighting ?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back