Copper Testing Simplified! Using Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker HI702

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So,,,,,
I re-tested the quarantine tank water again with the Hanna checker.
This was the results,

I tested the quarantine tank with the API test kit and this was the results,

I have added 33 mls total of Copper Power over the course of 6 days.
Yesterday morning the Hanna checker said 1.97ppm.

So I'm at a complete loss.
Inside the quarantine tank is a sponge filter, a powerhead, a heater, a couple large pvc fittings and a box of sand ( 2-2-1/2 cups).
Backfilter with sponge.
I can understand the sand soaking up some of the copper. But to go from 1.97 to 0.53-0.58 over night?

Anyone have a comment/advice?

I'm really sure I don't want to add any more copper with the API test showing what it does.

@HotRocks

@melypr1985
@Humblefish
@4FordFamily

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the copper absorption by the sand would be minimal, in the short term. I suspect a bad batch of reagent— can you order another 10 packets via 2-day Priority Mail from a different online vendor? I think most fish can hold-tight at that API level for a week or so. Maybe dilute the water very slightly; stay well within thereputic range on the API until you can figure out what’s going on with your Hanna Checker. After trying new packets, if it still seems out-of-whack, you might have to call the company :(

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would think the copper absorption by the sand would be minimal, in the short term. I suspect a bad batch of reagent— can you order another 10 packets via 2-day Priority Mail from a different online vendor? I think most fish can hold-tight at that API level for a week or so. Maybe dilute the water very slightly; stay well within thereputic range on the API until you can figure out what’s going on with your Hanna Checker. After trying new packets, if it still seems out-of-whack, you might have to call the company :(
I agree the copper absorption shouldn't be much.
I would think that the test using my display tank water and adding 4.4 mls of the copper power to it and coming up with 2.29 would indicate an accurate reagent with the new batch of reagents, and checker.
Plus with the first week of testing the copper levels went up each day as I added more copper

I'm just really confused.
I finally got a pair of Potter wrasses in the size range that I was looking for and both survived shipping and seem to be doing well in quarantine.
I would hate to kill them with copper because of inaccurate testing.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If it makes you feel any better, before I got my Hanna Checker, I had about 9 fish in CopperSafe for a month; when the Hanna Checker came (which is all I use now), it showed that the copper was way over the thereputic level. (The API was difficult to decipher, as you know.). Everyone came through it fine— including a M. Wrasse— although there was probably enough copper in there to kill a horse. (Lol)

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article thank you!

Concur. Been very helpful to me too. As accurate and consistent as the Hana tester appears to be...operator error can really throw it off. I made the mistake of using the syringe I used to dose CopperSafe to my QT, to fill the test vial. Even though I rinsed it well in RODI water it gave me an alarmingly high reading. I still use my API test kit as a backup.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. After a number of unsuccessful quarantines I am going to try the Hanna checker.

I'm in Australia and as far as I am aware the only readily available copper treatment is Seachem Cupramine. I have been unable to find any readily available chelated copper product.

What is the reason behind the popularity for the chelated copper here? Also, what are peoples experiences/observations using Seachem Cupramine at the recommended .5ppm dose with the Hanna checker?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. After a number of unsuccessful quarantines I am going to try the Hanna checker.

I'm in Australia and as far as I am aware the only readily available copper treatment is Seachem Cupramine. I have been unable to find any readily available chelated copper product.

What is the reason behind the popularity for the chelated copper here? Also, what are peoples experiences/observations using Seachem Cupramine at the recommended .5ppm dose with the Hanna checker?
The checker will work just fine with cupramine. There are two reasons I prefer chelated over ionic. First, it has a wider therapeutic range, so you have a bit more wiggle room with dosing/testing. The other reason being that it just seems to be broadly, less harsh. I have treated most types of fish we see in the hobby with very few being "copper sensitive". Wrasse especially seem to tolerate chelated copper mich better than ionic for whatever the reason may be.

Back