Copper Testing Simplified! Using Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker HI702

flfireman1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have different media in the QT with cupramine? I have some filter floss housing biofilter in my 40 that does absorb slightly.

Both are set up nearly identical. Both have two hang on filters with sponge filter and filter floss. But if it is the filter gloss, it doesn’t seem to absorb the coppersafe.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are set up nearly identical. Both have two hang on filters with sponge filter and filter floss. But if it is the filter gloss, it doesn’t seem to absorb the coppersafe.

It may possibly be the filter floss, being that one form is ionic and the other is chelated copper, it may absorb one but not the other.

Did it only absorb to a certain point and then stop? Or you are still having to add daily? Copper will not evaporate.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have most angle and tang,
what is different between both copper
They are different compounds, for the most part chelated seems to be less harsh on sensitive species, tangs and angels are not the most sensitive to copper, so either would probably work well. I prefer chelated personally, copper power.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump.gif
for those who may have not seen this.

I want to thank @HotRocks for all of the research & experimentation that went into this. You are a HUGE ASSET to R2R.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump.gif
for those who may have not seen this.

I want to thank @HotRocks for all of the research & experimentation that went into this. You are a HUGE ASSET to R2R.
Thanks Bobby, glad to do it! :)

Manics1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hotrocks. The high range Hanna checker. How is it at low range?
Long story, l used cupramine in my display with liverock and sand, it saved my fish.
First off l started with the seachem and Salifert test sets, they both said l was at 0.5, l wanted real confirmation, so l bought the Hanna, Hanna said l was at 0.32.
I've been using carbon, cupribond and water changes to be rid of the copper, Hanna says l'm at 0.02 one day, 0.03 the next, 0.05 today, that's after lots of media and water changes, seachem says l'm at 0.
My question is.... Is the Hanna accurate at low range or do l believe the test set of the manufacturer of the copper?
Really appreciate your advice.
It's 3 weeks since l started trying to get the cupramine out.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story, l used cupramine in my display with liverock and sand, it saved my fish.
First off l started with the seachem and Salifert test sets, they both said l was at 0.5, l wanted real confirmation, so l bought the Hanna, Hanna said l was at 0.32.
I've been using carbon, cupribond and water changes to be rid of the copper, Hanna says l'm at 0.02 one day, 0.03 the next, 0.05 today, that's after lots of media and water changes, seachem says l'm at 0.
My question is.... Is the Hanna accurate at low range or do l believe the test set of the manufacturer of the copper?

Hanna's range is 0-5.o with an error of 0.01. The varying levels of cooper could be the rock leaching it out, also I would say my personal use there is a bit of room for error due to the powder reagent.

I would try to use some cuprisorb as well.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna's range is 0-5.o with an error of 0.01. The varying levels of cooper could be the rock leaching it out, also I would say my personal use there is a bit of room for error due to the powder reagent.

I would try to use some cuprisorb as well.
I agree with this. At the low range it's reasonable to expect that it could be a bit off, but your results are within the margin of error of the checker. I also agree that cuprisorb and polyfiber pads with heavy flow through them will do a better job of removing copper. Copper does leach out when the tank levels are lower.

Manics1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake, l have Cuprisorb in there, don't know where Cupribond popped out from....
I have 2 X seachem copper tests, both say 0.
I shall give it a few more water changes / test my other tank with the Hanna ( copper free zone ) take it from there.

Manics1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just tested my lps/sps mixed Reef with the Hanna, copper in any shape or form has never entered this tank. Both readings 0.09 with the Hanna.
I reckon my other tank with a max reading of 0.05 on the Hanna is good to go.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I really wouldn't worry about .05 or less. The tester has a variance of +/-.05ppm.

I have been experimenting with the low range tester. It however reads in ppb. After mixing fresh saltwater and testing (no other additives or dosing) I was getting readings of 25ppb up to 75ppb or .07ppm.

The strange part is if I dose cupramine exactly as instructed, I get the expected result. Dead accurate.

Obviously when working with ionic forms of copper or copper sulfate pentahydrate it's a much lower target and this variance near the zero mark makes it more difficult to work with.

I would still say it's accurate for testing all copper products at the therapuetic level. Probably slightly more accurate when using it with a chelated copper product.

Manics1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Colour is pretty much as it went in.
Results of the testing from my other tank has pretty much assured me the treated tank is ok. I will however observe, keep testing for a while and run the cuprisorb / carbon for a while yet.

Manics1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really wouldn't worry about .05 or less. The tester has a variance of +/-.05ppm.

I have been experimenting with the low range tester. It however reads in ppb. After mixing fresh saltwater and testing (no other additives or dosing) I was getting readings of 25ppb up to 75ppb or .07ppm.

The strange part is if I dose cupramine exactly as instructed, I get the expected result. Dead accurate.

Obviously when working with ionic forms of copper or copper sulfate pentahydrate it's a much lower target and this variance near the zero mark makes it more difficult to work with.

I would still say it's accurate for testing all copper products at the therapuetic level. Probably slightly more accurate when using it with a chelated copper product.

Won't worry about it, testing my mixed Reef " copper virgin " has assured me tank no2 is ok.
Thanks for responses.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article and reference.
Just purchased a yellow eye Kole tang and a yellow tang and am running API general treatment (praziquantel +mela..basically). Once I’m through with this I plan on a 25%-50% WC and then dose copper. I have cuprion from a previous velvet outbreak (didn’t turn out well). Have you had any experience with cuprion? (1 drop/gallon=.20ppm). Am I correct that therapeutic level is .2? Does the copper level of treatment vary per product?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using an API copper testing kit (Ugg!), I once had CopperSafe near 3.0 ppm. Gladly no fish died, but it couldn’t have been good. I was alerted to the danger when my Hanna Checker arrived— the greatest thing since the electric lightbulb!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article and reference.
Just purchased a yellow eye Kole tang and a yellow tang and am running API general treatment (praziquantel +mela..basically). Once I’m through with this I plan on a 25%-50% WC and then dose copper. I have cuprion from a previous velvet outbreak (didn’t turn out well). Have you had any experience with cuprion? (1 drop/gallon=.20ppm). Am I correct that therapeutic level is .2? Does the copper level of treatment vary per product?

Cuprion does carry a therapuetic level of .2ppm. I personally have never used it on fish. I have tested it for the purpose of verification of it working with the Hanna checker. It is likely to be more harsh than a chelated product. Each product depending on the type carries it's own therapuetic level.

Quick reference therapuetic levels:
Cupramine .5ppm
Cuprion .2ppm
Copper sulfate pentahydrate .25ppm
Copper power 1.5ppm
Copper safe 1.5ppm

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprion does carry a therapuetic level of .2ppm. I personally have never used it on fish. I have tested it for the purpose of verification of it working with the Hanna checker. It is likely to be more harsh than a chelated product. Each product depending on the type carries it's own therapuetic level.

Quick reference therapuetic levels:
Cupramine .5ppm
Cuprion .2ppm
Copper sulfate pentahydrate .25ppm
Copper power 1.5ppm
Copper safe 1.5ppm
Perhaps add that to your original post? Might help others :)

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @HotRocks for the great reference. I’ve got a few more days so I’m gonna order the copper power and use that.
I too have been having a horrible time getting fish through quarantine and feel certain this information is going to let me finally get some more fish in the display.
Thanks again for the time and effort in writing this article

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back