Copperband butterfly + clams?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ~800L system with a huge aiptasia outbreak, and I'm wondering if I may have to resort to a copperband butterly if the latest batch of peppermint shrimp can't eliminate them. However, I have about 18 clams in the system also - will the CBB go after the aiptasia before the clams? I'm fine with re-homing it after they're eliminated (or at least reduced to where the peppermint shrimp can keep them under control). Thanks for any info!

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess clams aren't too popular nowadays so no info :face-with-open-mouth:

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put in a clam after my cb wiped out about 600 aip , so far it hasn’t bothered it

ReefLaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just bought a maxima clam for my 450L reef with a copperband. My copperband found it within a 4 hours and starting picking at the foot. Clam has been relocated. I think it’s going to be a risk but either be ready to move the copperband or the clams. At least with that many clams, you would have a lot of time to make a choice if it goes poorly

OP
OP
MartinM

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a maxima clam for my 450L reef with a copperband. My copperband found it within a 4 hours and starting picking at the foot. Clam has been relocated. I think it’s going to be a risk but either be ready to move the copperband or the clams. At least with that many clams, you would have a lot of time to make a choice if it goes poorly
ok thanks, and most of mine are big (18-24cm) and well established so let's see how it goes!

ReefLaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would go for it and just closely monitor. I forgot to mention my clam was only 3 inches. Copperband will decimate your aptasia so it’s probably worth it

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a decent sized derasa clam in my system that my CBB hasn't touched, but it picks at some of the hitchhiker jewelbox clams and has eaten a wing oyster and flame scallop. The CBBs I've kept have tended to be pretty particular about food, so, at the very least, you'll probably know in a couple of weeks whether it will be fine in the long term. My current one also likes acans and feather dusters, though my last one never bothered the LPS.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband never touches my maxima.
He once did pick at the clam by accident, but after that never showed interest again.

He wiped out my aiptasia in about 1-2 weeks.
First I thought he doesnt touch aiptasia, but boy I was wrong :)
He just destroyed all the feather dusters first wow.

Go for it! they are easy to catch

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we are talking about clams and my last addition is my first one , I was curious if it was okay that it is on a flat rock , I got a clam cradle , but it had already began to attach within 2 days , and I didn’t wanna risk stressing it out anymore , just a broken piece of macro rock

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cent - don’t do it - how about a file fish ? They eat aptasia like a champ but not sure about clams.

Latest search suggests it might be a good idea with clams - here is reference for more info

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

• Other.

Back