Copperband butterfly fish - stress?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I got this guy yesterday afternoon, he's been doing great so far. I asked the LFS to show me him eating mysis and he went to town right away.

He's been in their QT a month so after hearing that (I trust them) and seeing him eat like I pig, I was like, alright, might as well take the plunge.

Brought him home, acclimated, and about 2 hours later, fed him. Ate like a pig, woo! Today woke up and he was swimming fine, fed him again, and he ate a lot. Tonight same thing, swimming all fine etc, feed him, eats like a pig again.

Right after eating, about 20m later I see him swimming like this(video below) and observe. It's been about an hour and he's still doing it. To me, he seems stressed. But he is new to the tank and I know cbb's can take a bit to normalize.

Thoughts? I have the trifecta on hand if needed.

Tank has no corals (yet) or fish, so he's not being bullied. I decided to bypass QT on this one because I trust the lfs and have read enough that QT for these fish is sort of mixed. I'm also ok with the risks associated and if he does have something ill have a tank sitting empty for a while. Being successful with this fish is a bit more of a priority to me :)

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, beautiful copperband! You scored a great little fish there. Secondly, I watched the video and honestly, I’ve seen scores of fish do this. It’s just trying to understand its new boundaries. Give it a week and I’m sure it’ll stop.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First off, beautiful copperband! You scored a great little fish there. Secondly, I watched the video and honestly, I’ve seen scores of fish do this. It’s just trying to understand its new boundaries. Give it a week and I’m sure it’ll stop.
Thanks!! This helps relieve a lot of stress. When I saw him I thought the same thing. He didn't look starved and he was eating immediately, I was like darn it, I have to buy him. He was priced a little higher than normal ($99) but I felt like taking him home from the lfs would be better than having one shipped from somewhere like LA. Added some more pics of him.

PXL_20201018_200630385.jpg PXL_20201018_204403406.jpg PXL_20201018_204407225.jpg PXL_20201018_204412748~2.jpg PXL_20201018_204403406~2.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back