Copperband butterfly reef safe?

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 mixed reef tank, with lots of LPS, acans, lobo's etc and some SPS.I have tried to be very careful to keep a watch out for aptasia when I get new stock in, but it's hard to catch them all. Whenever I find one I get it out as soon as I see any. I went for a long time without ever having any, but I have recently found some in my sand bed. I pick them out when I see them, but they seem to be multiplying. So I was thinking about getting a Copperband butterfly to help rid the tank of aptasia before it gets an upper hand. Has anyone here had any trouble with the Copperband eating your corals, either SPS or LPS? I'm very Leary of trying a Copperband, I'm afraid that I will end up regretting it when it starts munching on corals.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one just for that problem sometime back and he was a model citizen and he took care of the problem and I did not have any problems with him to pick on any of the sps and lps corals, it does not mean though that if you buy one that the copperband will fix the problem,you have a 50-50 % chance, some do ,some don`t. That is why copperband is labeled add with caution in reef tanks.

OP
OP
tweeter

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another fish that is reef safe that eats aptasia?

Matthias7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a copperband to my mixed reef and after about 6 months I have no more aptasia. I do have a large clam and have had no issues so far

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your acans might be at risk. I also wouldn't trust a CBB with zoas and clams.

Yours/mine has been a model citizen. I worried about some of my more expensive zoas but so far zoas and acans are not on the menu so far. Fingers crossed!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there another fish that is reef safe that eats aptasia?

Matted Filefish (but those will sometimes nip at corals as well.) Peppermint Shrimp will sometimes eat the small ones, and the Berghia nudibranch is supposed to be best for eradicating them. But I believe they starve after all aiptasia are gone.

OP
OP
tweeter

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to everyone for your replys. Where can I purchase the bergia nudibranch.? I have a Lubbocks, exquisite, and an ornate leopard wrasse, will these eat the nudibranchs?
Does the matted file nip or eat corals?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed testimonials here. I have had 3 over the years they all were model citizens./ They will over time waste away if not properly fed. I mean oyster clam shrimp heads etc.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back