Copperband Clam/Mussel Feeding Question

Surfer311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Does anyone have a good method for anchoring fresh clam/mussel for copperband feeding?

I have tried a few ideas unsuccessfully, right now I am just placing them on bottom each day (starboard) and it gets spun around as the fish try to feed at it until the small opening ends up under a rock.

I open them just a small amount so copperband can get his mouth in but other fish can’t get to it, tried running a ziptie through it but didn’t work either...

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put it inside of a small fingerbowl. If the bowl is heavy enough it shouldn't move around.

I just open my clams/mussels up all the way. If my copperband is getting out-competed that just means I need to feed 2 clams at once.

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed half a clam every two days attached to a nori clip by a rubber band. It stays put with my copperband, flame angelfish and midas blenny pecking at it. I wrap the clam several winds until the band is tight, then attach to the clip, if that helps. I pull the clip about half way down the side of the tank.

On the non clam days I feed reef frenzy in Hope's the copperband will start eating out of the water column. Garlic doesnt seem to entice mine at all. Minor success but getting better.

On clam days I feed pellets to the other fish first, before I put the clam in, so they dont attack the clam out of hunger/food-excitement. They're still interested but they dont out compete the copperband that way.

Seems to work for me. I hope it helps.

Side note in case it's important to you: I buy fresh clams at my local grocier and freeze them overnight, then cut them in half all at once to be returned to the freezer. This cuts down a lot on prep time.

OP
OP
Surfer311

Surfer311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both so much! Great ideas, Xam - rubberband to algae clip is perfect. It gets in there and holds it without splitting the shell open like the ziptie was doing.

I might even see if I can find a piece of live rock/rubble rock that is the right size for rubber band and mussel shell to hold it in place.

Fortunately he’s finally started eating LRS reef frenzy which is great, but will continue putting fresh clam or mussel in each day in addition to some live black worms I have on the way to make sure he is eating alot and keeping weight on.

Thanks again!

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news about the LRS! I wish mine would take interest. Are you using garlic or entice with it at all?

You're welcome about the rubber band trick. I wish I could take credit but I'm sure I read it somewhere here on R2R.

OP
OP
Surfer311

Surfer311

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news about the LRS! I wish mine would take interest. Are you using garlic or entice with it at all?

You're welcome about the rubber band trick. I wish I could take credit but I'm sure I read it somewhere here on R2R.

Sorry about the delayed response! No garlic, just started eating it after about 3 weeks in the tank. He’s eating like a pig now, feeding the LRS and live blackworms daily.

Thanks again all for your help!!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back