Copperband fasting? Need help

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had this copperband for about 2-3 weeks. He was eating great when I got him, he needed some time to eat in my tank (about less than a week after getting him). He was eating super agressively. Now he won’t eat. I’m wondering if anyone has had problems with copper bands eating then not in the same environment. I hope he’s just not hungry but it’s been about 2-3 days and I’m getting concerned. He’s gained weight since I got him but now I feel like he’s lost some in the past few days.

OP
OP
R

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

You got any pics ?
no im not home rn, he looks fine disease wise just a little skinny. The thing is I got him eating super aggressively in this particular tank with the same tank mates, he’s just suddenly stopped eating. I haven’t had any param swings, new tank mates and anything else change. He’s eating mostly brine but a little mysis. I’ve tried masstick and clam but he doesn’t touch. Did not qt him, no symptoms but he does seem to be glass surfing but it wasn’t as bad as when I got him

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no im not home rn, he looks fine disease wise just a little skinny. The thing is I got him eating super aggressively in this particular tank with the same tank mates, he’s just suddenly stopped eating. I haven’t had any param swings, new tank mates and anything else change. He’s eating mostly brine but a little mysis. I’ve tried masstick and clam but he doesn’t touch. Did not qt him, no symptoms but he does seem to be glass surfing but it wasn’t as bad as when I got him
Copperbands are tough to feed and when they do eat good, it is difficult to keep weight on them. In your case, the fish was eating well and then stopped. That can be a result of disease or some change in water quality. You haven’t seen any signs of that though.
That does leave the possibility of cyanide poisoning. Many of these fish are collected in Indonesia or the Philippines with a drug, cyanide. That makes the fish easy to catch, but leaves residual damage that can cause 40 to 60% of the drugged fish to die in the following 40 days or so.
Can you post a video of the fish under white light? That could give me some clues.
Jay

OP
OP
R

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperbands are tough to feed and when they do eat good, it is difficult to keep weight on them. In your case, the fish was eating well and then stopped. That can be a result of disease or some change in water quality. You haven’t seen any signs of that though.
That does leave the possibility of cyanide poisoning. Many of these fish are collected in Indonesia or the Philippines with a drug, cyanide. That makes the fish easy to catch, but leaves residual damage that can cause 40 to 60% of the drugged fish to die in the following 40 days or so.
Can you post a video of the fish under white light? That could give me some clues.
Jay
Hi, I will once I get home, I have live black worms on the way. I did have a temperature swing of about 3f today I just checked on my apex.

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpeg
    IMG_0707.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
R

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Good news guys, I feed him after I came home and he took a few bites out of his favorite sanfransisco bay brand brine. He’s been inspecting this tracy which I know has some pesky pest feather dusters growing out of it. I think he might just be full on microfauna Here’s him

OP
OP
R

Reniva Ma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here

Attachments

• 72654835836__3C91A2C1-A606-4DA7-8507-6D3ED2C7848A.MOV
    3.8 MB

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back