OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he has a depth of field vision problem. He sees fine but off to one side and his brain doesn't know how to cope.

It may be an age related thing. I don't know and her insurance doesn't pay for fish neurologists. ;Meh

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My copperband still looks perfect even though she hasn't eaten anything in a month. Healthy fish can go a very long time before they start to lose their immunity and then it is a quick process for them to die.

She goes for live worms but can't get them in her mouth. I feel sorry for her as she looks so confused. sort of like I look a lot of times. ;Meh

i
'

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperband is still with me even though she has not eaten in almost two months. Healthy, non drugged fish can live a very long time.

The lack of food is showing in her fins and scales as she doesn't have that velvety smooth skin and perfect fins that a healthy fish should have. Her eyes are not as clear and her "expression" shows me how she is feeling.
(stop laughing, some day you will be able to know what a fish is thinking)

She is dying of either old age or a neurological condition, maybe a brain tumor as her vision is askew.
She still swims all over the tank and gets excited when I feed, but she knows she can't eat.

I am not sure how long Copperbands live but being a butterfly and not an angel, Maybe 10 years is close to their natural lifespan. But I doubt it. I don't remember ever keeping one for 10 years.
I am also not sure of her exact age as I don't keep records but this one is on my book cover and that picture is at least 5 years old and she is an adult there. I got her as a baby as I like to buy all my fish If I can.

This is her yesterday. She looks better than the picture which is out of focus.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Copperband finally passed away peacefully. And she had the courtesy to die stuck to a powerhead near the front of the tank so it was simple to remove her and she didn't become bristleworm food.

If she was near the bottom, It wouldn't have been pretty .
She is the copperband that appears on the cover of my book.

I will get another one when I find a small, good one.

Birdbrains?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh how sad.

It kinda looks like it needed glasses. I guess that feeding a more dense particle soup, so that it could get alittle nomatter where it's aim is at, would be the best retirement plan for fish suffering like this into old age.

But besides how sad it is that the cutie passed away, thanks a lot anyway for the great video.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 45 45.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back