Coral and Fish Stocking Ideas?

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for Christmas I was able to upgrade from my 20g sumpless tank to a 29g with a 20g sump. I completely restarted as I've had a diatom problem for about 4 months along with pest problems since I changed out with rock without using a QT. I made a lot of mistakes when I setup my first tank so for this one I've spent 3 months planning everything out and finally made the move last week to get everything and set it all up. I understand that the tank will be cycling for around a month but I want to plan my corals and fish now and setup a QT. Below I made a list of the fish and corals I'd like to stock the tank with...

Fish:
2x Clarkii Clownfish
1x Sapphire Damesel
1x Royal Gramma
1-2x Purple Fire Fish

Corals:
Duncanopsammia Coral
type of Favites
Plate Coral Pinwheel
Toadstool Mushroom
Blue Sympodium Polyp
Pulsing Xenia
Yellow brick Road Zoa

Most corals will be purchased as either a frag or small in size. Below is a picture of the tank right now. There is 30lb of rock in the tank and 25lb more in the sump. I have a AquaMaXX HOB-1 Protein Skimmer, 2x Jebao rw-4 powerheads and an Aquatop Media Reactor.

20161231_160631.jpg

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ergh... it should be fine, but just to make sure how bigs the light? And no acros, torches, hammers, or branching softies? Cause I gotta say, I have some ideas that I think might make your tank look cool.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into a Hammer but so many corals and I love them all! haha

Sure you can take the picture and doodle on it in MSN Paint that would be amazing

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you might want to consider an urchin, starfish, turbo snails, and hermits/shrimp.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you might want to consider an urchin, starfish, turbo snails, and hermits/shrimp.
I'm thinking of moving my 3 turbos, 4-5 nassarius snails, and a pretty big brittle star over to this tank once its setup.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your upgrade very nice rock scape.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, me? Sorry man no way! I'm a terrible artist...but here are some suggestions:
-a CRAPLOAD of green star polyp in the front
-gonipora (they come in red, green and blue)/alvepora
-hmm, how about some kinda anemone? For instance, a rock flower anemone:
image.jpg

image.jpg

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap! The second was an accident... anyway, I also would get as big as you can with regards to price.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crap! The second was an accident... anyway, I also would get as big as you can with regards to price.
the far left side rock was gonna be the lil island for the hammer and around the bottom and sides i planned to let the polypes grow :eek:

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally tapped your profile... you're from NY? That's cool, my brother goes to college in Hempstead on Long Island and I go to college in Manhattan (live in CT).

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally tapped your profile... you're from NY? That's cool, my brother goes to college in Hempstead on Long Island and I go to college in Manhattan (live in CT).
Yeah I'm more upstate I'm around the Corning area

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks really nice.

In a 20 gallon, I would not go with the Fire Fish and Clarkii clowns, or a Damsel. Territories are limited and Fire Fish are passive, Clarkii's become dominate really quickly. The clowns with the Royal Gramma would probably work.

Corals look good, hard to keep Xenia in check though.

OP
OP
Jisko

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks really nice.

In a 20 gallon, I would not go with the Fire Fish and Clarkii clowns, or a Damsel. Territories are limited and Fire Fish are passive, Clarkii's become dominate really quickly. The clowns with the Royal Gramma would probably work.

Corals look good, hard to keep Xenia in check though.
The Clarkii was my very first fish so he will be moving to the new one but I wanted to get a 2nd. I was hoping that by adding the Clarkiis in last that it will let down on the aggression

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, if you were to get clowns, definitely get a host anemone and put it all the way to one side, preferably separated from rest of tank by a rock, kinda isolated. That way, you maximize your chances of peaceful fish.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Clarkii was my very first fish so he will be moving to the new one but I wanted to get a 2nd. I was hoping that by adding the Clarkiis in last that it will let down on the aggression
lol I have a clarkii in my 30 gal. Nano and with a blood orange mis bar and the poore mis bar is beat up anytime it goes near the bta., mistake on getting the clarkii I agree I wouldn't have 2 let alone one in your size tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back