Coral arrived cold

Cichlid23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I ordered this rainbow hammer coral online. The hammer coral ended up getting stuck in a warehouse overnight and the water was probably about 50 degrees when it finally arrived. Now to this day the coral is healthy and open, but it looks bleached from the original pictures. I've heard how when coral is found in cold water it can kill off zooxanthellae algae thus causing this bleaching. I was seeing if anyone else had this happen to them and what the long term effects where. I'm assuming the color will come back, but how long does that usually take?

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I ordered this rainbow hammer coral online. The hammer coral ended up getting stuck in a warehouse overnight and the water was probably about 50 degrees when it finally arrived. Now to this day the coral is healthy and open, but it looks bleached from the original pictures. I've heard how when coral is found in cold water it can kill off zooxanthellae algae thus causing this bleaching. I was seeing if anyone else had this happen to them and what the long term effects where. I'm assuming the color will come back, but how long does that usually take?
Color should eventually come back can take weeks or months.

Upvote 0

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not happened to me fortunatly, but there are no long term affects for bleaching (unless it kills it). It should recover with time. Could take weeks or months.

Upvote 0

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of color is it missing? Zoox density usually dictates how "brown" it gets so if thats whats missing then it should recover faster with good water and lighting parameters

If its the rainbow colors that are now missing, that is due to missing color pigment and flouresent protein. That is harder and takes longer to get back - nutrition, right lighting (both spectrum and par) are more key and need to also make sure nutrients are not too high.

Nutrition - amino, fish poop/pee, dissolved organics, phyto, etc..
Nutrient - no3/po4

The latter, + low light may lead to over production of zoox and turning coral into ugly brown.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back