Coral back from the dead?

NANelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I bought a 125g tank about a year ago and have noticed areas coming to life throughout the year, including some coral that have seemed to come back from the dead. I would love some input on what this one specifically could be, and wanted to check in with people a lot more experienced than me! (Embarrassingly enough, I attempted to nurture my aiptasia with pride before finding out it was a nuisance, don’t want to make that mistake again ‍♀️). It seems obvious that the whole coral was alive at one point by the skeleton, and this one polyp has been noticeable for a couple of months now. I would love to find out what it is soI can try to help it along as well as possible. Thank you!!

057AB0E2-D511-42FA-BAE6-9860E034CBE6.jpeg

OP
OP
NANelson

NANelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it felt clearer last night when I posted it, but it is harder to see than I thought! Let’s try a better pic from this afternoon.

CDB82408-5A3E-46B2-BF4B-0F8FE1A164D3.jpeg

OP
OP
NANelson

NANelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also some neon orange spots on what looks like was a frag at one point. Definitely something alive, again I just don’t know what. But bright and neon! Any input would be appreciated :)

F84D2D4D-9130-46FB-AB65-2DE7D1E4BF3D.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it felt clearer last night when I posted it, but it is harder to see than I thought! Let’s try a better pic from this afternoon.

CDB82408-5A3E-46B2-BF4B-0F8FE1A164D3.jpeg
That looks like a candy cane, button scoly, lobo. Something like that. 2nd pic I would assume are zoas but it’s blurry.

OP
OP
NANelson

NANelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a candy cane, button scoly, lobo. Something like that. 2nd pic I would assume are zoas but it’s blurry.

Just looked those up, and scoly definitely looks closest. I’ll check into them and their needs a little more! Thank you!!
As for the others, they definitely aren’t zoas, (I know the pic is pretty terrible, sorry again! they’re farther back in the tank), but they’re flush to the skeleton that it’s on. Just neon orange spots that appeared on the skeleton. They haven’t really grown, but also haven’t receded.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such is the miracle of life. Marine life is amazing.

I once left a zoa covered rock out in my garage unintentionally for over a week. Someone said to throw oy back in the tank even though zoas looked dried up.

2 weeks later it sprung back to life

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes, it does happen. Also a sign that your tank is sustaining coral both soft and guard a sure bet to keep the system stable, as changes not warranted at this time

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bonsai Garf that is starting to colonize again from a little piece that was left on the rock when I pulled the dying frag when it was becoming an algae magnet. A Red Hornets frag that had about 20 polyps melt down to one polyp and stall for the longest time but in the past month two more polyps have grown. My plate coral that completely died and all that was left was the skeleton. I heard about them sprouting babies after they die so I left it in the tank and sure enough a few months later... babies!

Plate on it's way out. Following week nothing but a skeleton.
U3ain4Sm.jpg

A month or so after dying some growths appear.
R8OSuZtm.jpg

This was taken last month.
6uld7gkm.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Plates are well known to recover from even 100% of meat gone. This is great news !

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back