Coral Beauty color morphs

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please move if this is the wrong section or there is a thread covering this (couldn't find one)

It seems that many fish have a wide variety or color morphs, some may vary within the same spawn but others are location based.

the coral beauty seems to have a wide range of appearances, does anyone happen to have photos with different locations that can highlight if the differences are location based? if so what is the most desirable catch location.

feel free to expand to other Dwarf angels that may also exhibit this or if there is a better example. i'm aware of fish from the red sea being more colorful than their counterparts from other seas.

thanks, happy reefing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please move if this is the wrong section or there is a thread covering this (couldn't find one)

It seems that many fish have a wide variety or color morphs, some may vary within the same spawn but others are location based.

the coral beauty seems to have a wide range of appearances, does anyone happen to have photos with different locations that can highlight if the differences are location based? if so what is the most desirable catch location.

feel free to expand to other Dwarf angels that may also exhibit this or if there is a better example. i'm aware of fish from the red sea being more colorful than their counterparts from other seas.

thanks, happy reefing.

Interesting question. I don't know if the color variations in coral beauties are genetic (and set by range) or environmental (set by circumstances). Some aberrant color morphs revert back to a normal coloration after being in captivity for some time (indicating it isn't genetic). Debelius thinks that most CB color variations are based on environment (water depth in particular).

Heraldi (yellow) angels do have a geographic variant that has a black dorsal spot (used to be called a different species). Flame angels also seem to have some regional variations.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back