Coral beauty eye is messed up!

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me please! My coral beauty's eye is popping out and slightly filmed over! Here is the best photo I could take he turns too fast (sorry for dirty glass, just got home from a trip)
e5f46b43a16f4b80d7e3559bdfb48f01.jpg

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, your tank has dried water on the outside of the glass......clean it up man!!

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Popeye, or exophthalmia, is swelling of one or both eyes of the aquarium fish. It is difficult to treat but easy to prevent. One or both eyes of the aquarium fish bulge outwards, hence the “popeye” name. The outer surface of the fish's eye may be white or cloudy.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opportunistic bacterial infections commonly occur. The cloudiness of the fish's eye is caused by damage to the cornea (the transparent layer of skin that covers the pupil). Popeye infish is most frequently caused by continual exposure to chronically poor (rather than acutely lethal) water conditions.

I'm not saying this is your issue, just causes

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one eye, correct? I'd first try Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to help ease the swelling. Melafix might help in this situation as well. Both are reef safe options.

But if the eye doesn't clear (even if the popeye recedes) you will need to treat in a QT with an antibiotic. Erythromycin, Kanaplex or Furan-2 are all good options.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one eye, correct? I'd first try Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to help ease the swelling. Melafix might help in this situation as well. Both are reef safe options.

But if the eye doesn't clear (even if the popeye recedes) you will need to treat in a QT with an antibiotic. Erythromycin, Kanaplex or Furan-2 are all good options.
Its just one eye. Can I just go straight for the QT?

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just one eye. Can I just go straight for the QT?
You sure can
If you need to know how to set one up, humblefish has an awesome write up in the stickies section

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please explain what to do, I'm 15 man, I don't have a lot of money to go spending on stuff

Your best bet is to treat this in the DT, and not a QT. Go to Walmart (or any drug store) and buy “USP” grade Epsom salt. Make sure it is plain Epsom salt, without any fragrances added in. Mix tank water in a jug with enough Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to treat your size tank. Slowly pour that into your aquarium.

Epsom salt will help relieve the swelling i.e. the popeye. This may (or may not) completely solve the problem, but it's an easy first step.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is to treat this in the DT, and not a QT. Go to Walmart (or any drug store) and buy “USP” grade Epsom salt. Make sure it is plain Epsom salt, without any fragrances added in. Mix tank water in a jug with enough Epsom salt (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) to treat your size tank. Slowly pour that into your aquarium.

Epsom salt will help relieve the swelling i.e. the popeye. This may (or may not) completely solve the problem, but it's an easy first step.
A guy that I trust at my lfs told me to use focus made by seachem. I bought it and I added it to the food tonight. Will this work as well?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy that I trust at my lfs told me to use focus made by seachem. I bought it and I added it to the food tonight. Will this work as well?

Focus is a binder. You'd do better to add an antibiotic to it. You can combine the focus and something like kanaplex with the fish's food. The focus will bind the kanaplex to the food to prevent it from leaching into the tank. This makes it reef safe.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ What she said; although for an eye infection it would be best for the antibiotic to come into direct contact with the offending bacterium. This can only be accomplished by dosing the water.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ What she said; although for an eye infection it would be best for the antibiotic to come into direct contact with the offending bacterium. This can only be accomplished by dosing the water.
Im gonna try to get some Epsom salts tonight. So just use the ratio you gave me and add to the tank? How long should it take to clear his eye up?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should it take to clear his eye up?

Can take a few days at least. The point of the Epsom salt is to help ease the swelling. Does the eye still look cloudy/milky? Because that's a completely separate issue.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can take a few days at least. The point of the Epsom salt is to help ease the swelling. Does the eye still look cloudy/milky? Because that's a completely separate issue.
I havent done Epsom salts yet. The eye has a slight bulge and its slightly filmed over.

OP
OP
Mike628

Mike628

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the film was from the popeye. Is it more than one issue?

Back