Coral Box D300 Plus Skimmer Tuning

AdamH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I have a Coral Box D300 Plus Skimmer. It's been setup now for about 12 days. I have it running on 6 of out 12 power levels (about 50%) and my gate valve about 50% closed; water level at 7" in sump. I'm getting a green skimmate now, but would like a driver, darker skimmate. I currently have the bubbles topping out about 1" under the collection cup, with the froth above that. Seems to be producing about 1/8" to 1/4" of skimmate per day. It may just need more time to break in, not really sure. Looking for any advice you guys can give. Thanks.

OP
OP
A

AdamH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I have a Coral Box D300 Plus Skimmer. It's been setup now for about 12 days. I have it running on 6 of out 12 power levels (about 50%) and my gate valve about 50% closed; water level at 7" in sump. I'm getting a green skimmate now, but would like a driver, darker skimmate. I currently have the bubbles topping out about 1" under the collection cup, with the froth above that. Seems to be producing about 1/8" to 1/4" of skimmate per day. It may just need more time to break in, not really sure. Looking for any advice you guys can give. Thanks.
Drier* skimmate

OP
OP
A

AdamH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is skimmate about 24hours after cleaning cup..very little and light green color. My bioload is plenty heavy enough (7-8 fish in a 40gal breeder). First pic shows foam in cup, 2nd shows bubble level in body.
20181203_171937.jpg
20181203_171947.jpg

Wilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the same skimmer for a 90 gallon mixed reef, it has only been running for a few days so still breaking in. I currently have it on full power and gate valve fully opened. So far it is only producing small amount of skimmate but colour is darker than in your pictures. I was running a larger D500 with the pump set to just around 30 or 40%, it was running for a couple of years but I just wanted to claim a little more space back in the sump.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this skimmer running for a year now and I get really dark brown sludge. I run my bubbles just above the bottom of the cup. My water depth is about the same as yours.

OP
OP
A

AdamH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What power setting do you have it set to, and what about gate valve opening? I'm now running it at 30% power and gate closed 60%. Its doing better,but think I need to turn it up and open the valve more. Had it set higher for days with no real foam production. Trying to figure out how to get darker skimmate! ;Rage

OP
OP
A

AdamH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What setting are you running for the power and gate valve? I read originally running 60%-70% power and gate 30%-40% closed. Really wasn't producing any skimmate. Turned out down to 30% power and gate closed 60% and its doing better now. Picture shows 12 hours of skimming (just got done feeding, so foam hasn't picked back up yet). Any suggestions? Trying to get this figured out! ;Rage
20181211_194451.jpg

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it running at about 90% and I'm not sure what the gate is. Just depends on your sumps water level and also how high up you want the foam.

OP
OP
A

AdamH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine currently sits in 8" of water. Just seems like if I turn the pump up and open the gate,it just sits there and bubbles but doesnt produce any heavy foam.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should easily produce enough to be overflowing the cup if you open the gate right up. One thing I noticed on mine is that the Max and Min arrows are pointing in the wrong direction!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back