Coral Box WiFi Dosing Pump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read through this whole thread! I see a lot of people having issues with bubbles and prime. It's a very simple fix. Use the proper tubing sold by reef breeders. The regular air line tubing is to big. Although it appears to fit it is too big. It's a bit of an inconvenience to order tubing vs going to the LFS but I assure you the proper tubing is the number one fix for many of the complaints on all doses not just the coral box. In addition use a check valve on the return side. The closer to the end of the tune the better. I actually mounted mine on the end of the tube. Mine fit nicely in the tube holder that hangs over the glass in the tank. Not only that but when you screw down the tube holder you aren't pinching off the tube itself. Your holding the check valve instead. This alnoe has saved me a little headache. Once you calibrate to this it stays solid as there is no change to pressure in the lines.

Dosers are a simple system. You essentially have one long tube from the holding tanks of your solutions going to the aquarium In line is a set of rollers that pushes the liquid through. Some have fancy programming and some are very basic. I used the jeabo for a long time. Pumps were good and it was a simple program once you figured it out. The Coral Box doser is a huge step up for just a bit more $$$. IMO It is well worth it. This thing is accurate! And the app is flat out impressive. I know a lot of people use the app and have great success. Funny how the only ones to speak up are those complaining about it. If you can afford it get the whole kit that reef breeders sell. It is slick! You fill the dosing containers up to a given level (they are laser etched in the containers). Then plug these numbers in to the doser. It will tell you dosing containers level and keep track of it. I've seen and messed with several Dosers. This ine hands down is the one I recommend for the price. And no I don't have any affiliation with reef breeders at all. I've just been throughly impressed with thier fast service and this darn doser. Just set it up correctly and it is a snap to use. Here is a pic from in the app showing what I'm talking about and just how slick the whole kit is.

Screenshot_20190326-114118_Wifi Dosing.jpg

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just an update have resolved my priming issues and still using blue soft silcone tubing. I put a check valve on both ends, that seems to do the trick. It has now been keeping its calibration and staying primed. Been using it now for a few weeks and I have to say I am quite impressed. The app is quite easy to use (some minor glitches I see). I would def recommend this doser at this time.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I also ready the entire thread here. I have check valves on the output sides as well. I am using standard RO tubing and Ro check valves. I have noticed that when the pump stops it drips into my sump for about 5 seconds than stops. Not sure why it does this. I have noticed some air bubbles getting in as well. Any advice on this?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I also ready the entire thread here. I have check valves on the output sides as well. I am using standard RO tubing and Ro check valves. I have noticed that when the pump stops it drips into my sump for about 5 seconds than stops. Not sure why it does this. I have noticed some air bubbles getting in as well. Any advice on this?

Hi,

It sounds to me like it can be one of 2 things. 1- your lines are not fully sealed. 2- your dosing chemicals are too high up, and perhaps a siphon is forming. Are your dosing chemicals positioned higher than the end of the output lines?

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. Unfortunately, I have no way of having the liquids level or below the sump in my situation. As for if they are fully sealed I have checked them multiple times and do not see anything that could be considered "not sealed". For some reason they do not seem to "hold" the liquid in place even with the check valves on the outputs. I am however thinking of replacing the tubing with smaller tubing instead of using the 1/4" OD I am using right now that works with my dosing containers. I also am using John Guest check valves so I am not sure they are working properly as well. I have posted pictures of the current setup.

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. Unfortunately, I have no way of having the liquids level or below the sump in my situation. As for if they are fully sealed I have checked them multiple times and do not see anything that could be considered "not sealed". For some reason they do not seem to "hold" the liquid in place even with the check valves on the outputs. I am however thinking of replacing the tubing with smaller tubing instead of using the 1/4" OD I am using right now that works with my dosing containers. I also am using John Guest check valves so I am not sure they are working properly as well. I have posted pictures of the current setup.

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG

That would be the issue then. We never recommend installing the dosing chemicals higher than the end of your output line. Doing so can cause a siphon. If you must have them higher, then a siphon break is required.

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UnderstooD. I have a Neptune DOS I have used before and it didn’t present this problem.

Where or what is a siphon break and where can I get one? I still have a single doser as well I might try using with a single container.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UnderstooD. I have a Neptune DOS I have used before and it didn’t present this problem.

Where or what is a siphon break and where can I get one? I still have a single doser as well I might try using with a single container.

While our dosers do form a tight seal most of the time, it's just not worth the risk as the dosing heads are wear items and can loosen up over time. A siphon break is simply poking a hole in the tube to allow air in. Unfortunately your lines would no longer be primed as a result.

Is it possible to run the doser up to your display instead of down into the sump?

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3915.JPG

IMG_3916.JPG

IMG_3917.JPG
Derrick,

Slightly off topic question, but are those 1/4 check valves the cheaper generic John guest valves or the more expensive one's (~$13 each)? They look like the cheaper ones, but thought those had a high crack pressure and wasn't sure if this pump could drive that pressure.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCOT476/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OCOTCb4EFB89D

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried a number of options.

I now ordered some air check valves and will try those as well.

Unfortunately check valves will do nothing to prevent a siphon. They are one way valves, they only block backwards flow, not forwards flow from your reservoirs to the tank.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derrick,

Slightly off topic question, but are those 1/4 check valves the cheaper generic John guest valves or the more expensive one's (~$13 each)? They look like the cheaper ones, but thought those had a high crack pressure and wasn't sure if this pump could drive that pressure.

You really don't need a very expensive check valve. The ones we include with the pump are just fine, and we offer bulkier ones for $1.99/ea.

The check valve only keeps the lines primed- it's not a critical or always needed feature. It just helps to ensure everything is running smoothly and consistently.

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/upgraded-check-valve/

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you still only connect to these within your home network? If so, any work around to this? I would like to be able to adjust my dosing when travelling or away from home. Can it be accessed by a hardwired computer on the same network ? Could I remotely connect to a computer on the same network and be able to program it? Or can it only be accessed through a device directly connected to it via wifi?

Derrick Picker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could setup a VPN in your home and then connect to the VPN. That is how I do it. I am not sure if there are ports you could forward to connect to it but I have not figured it out myself.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which vpn do you use? So once the doser is connected to the home network, you can just connect to the vpn and then you can connect to the doser through the app when you are offsite?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ok. May be too much trouble than it's worth since my router doesn't have VPN capability. Unless someone knows of an easy way to set one up on a windows machine. Otherwise I may just stick with my brs dosers and apex.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back