Coral Care Must Haves

The single most important, can't live without, coral and reef tank care tool is this right here:
34417595540656.jpeg
 
So, I know this is kind of a personal preference topic, but I would love to know everyone's thoughts on it. In your opinion what tools/products would you absolutely not add coral to a new tank setup without?
Light Meter (PAR Meter) (if you're serious about coral growth)

With a little research and a PAR meter can do wonders for your tank!

Also little things like tweezers and glue are helpful!
 
If you want to keep your hands dry this long extendable version is nice. It seems to have a more concentrated/ stronger stream than my regular baster. I've taken to blowing stuff off daily or at least EOD. Bubble algae found a spot where detritus was settling in a cavity in my SPS tank and it stays gone as long as I keep that area clean.
EDIT: this is not my SPS tank 😉
PXL_20250805_174411014.jpg


A par meter is nice but some folks get buy with other methods. I have a meter but I run multiple tanks and spent my working career buying expensive tools so it was easy for me to purchase since it's just another tool. I would recommend some way to measure light. I'm poor at judging using my eyes and tend to starve things if I don't measure.
 
So, I know this is kind of a personal preference topic, but I would love to know everyone's thoughts on it. In your opinion what tools/products would you absolutely not add coral to a new tank setup without?
What type of corals are you planning to have?
 
Mostly softies and LPS
I think it has been covered well above but I would recommend that you keep Cipro on hand. I’ve read so many threads where people’s euphyllia has bjd and because it’s so fast acting they don’t have time to get any. If they had on hand and act quickly they had a great chance of not only saving the coral but prevent it from spreading to their other ones. I learned this the hard way a few years ago and always have it on hand.
 
Mostly softies and LPS
I think it has been covered well above but I would recommend that you keep Cipro on hand. I’ve read so many threads where people’s euphyllia has bjd and because it’s so fast acting they don’t have time to get any. If they had on hand and act quickly they had a great chance of not only saving the coral but prevent it from spreading to their other ones. I learned this the hard way a few years ago and always have it on hand.
Thank you! I'll definitely get ahold of some!
 
Thank you! I'll definitely get ahold of some!
This is the only place I could find it without a prescription but after describing why I needed it the last time I was in my veterinarian said he would provide for me if I ever needed it.
A62546DF-C61B-4C01-A6C3-D215F36CC7A2.jpeg
 
The single most important, can't live without, coral and reef tank care tool is this right here:
34417595540656.jpeg
I always thought people were kidding when they would recommend this, but then I got one and now I see why it is one of the most important tools a reefer can have
 
This is the only place I could find it without a prescription but after describing why I needed it the last time I was in my veterinarian said he would provide for me if I ever needed it.
A62546DF-C61B-4C01-A6C3-D215F36CC7A2.jpeg
I recently purchased some from reefgoods with no issues in case this website is out!!
 
I recently purchased some from reefgoods with no issues in case this website is out!!
That’s good to know, a couple of years ago you could get it everywhere, Chewy was a popular place but then, I believe it was the FDA, cracked down and tried to make it by prescription only. I guess a couple places found loopholes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new