Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an older article, but for me the science checks out:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm

Good article.

I see now why you reccomend against having a sandbed at around the 3" mark. Still, my original point stands where as long as you have an adequate micro fauna and CUC population, and you're able to get adequate turnover of your sand bed, you really won't see any negative effects to having a sand bed at about that depth

Annahra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I just know that's a depth where a lot of the bad stuff people say about DSBs happens. Better in my mind to have fully aerobic (shallow) bed or guaranteed anaerobic (deep) bed.

However if you keep a lot of large sand stirrers and/or regularly stir the bed yourself it likely doesn't matter.

AntarcticIkeelu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you wanted a sand sifter in your tank. You should be able to add one but the tank needs to be set up for a least a year. I currently have 6 stars in my 150 gallon, 4 sand sifters, 1 serpent, and 1 brittle. All of the sand sifters were added at the same time and they have been in the tank for over a year.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the cost of my scooter (didn't see him hiding from me under the sand and dropped a rock on him, rip) I went ahead and broke the rock into islands, replacing the freshwater ones with live rock. Now I just have to watch for any spikes

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back