Coral Coloration Glossary

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by Dana Riddle, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Oh, that originally was your data, then. The reference to Dan came from this article by Dmitry and Vahe:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

2. SpaceOps

SpaceOps Member

The data came from Dana's articles on Advancedaquarist.com. There are two sets of articles, the first being the Feature Article: Coral Coloration: Fluorescence: Part 1, and the other being Feature Article: How to Make Corals Colorful (multi-part article). I cited the sources when I first posted the slides on a couple of reef-keeping sites. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend putting too much effort into trying to excite blue-violet to violet pigments. Most people wouldn't notice them, anyway, even if you blasted them with broad spectrum violet/UV light. As far as timeliness of the data, I wouldn't imagine anything could be done to improve upon Dana's articles.

One thing I did notice in the data was that the excitation wavelengths were very specific. Dana, if 450nm was the excitation wavelength, would a purely monochromatic 453nm emitter have any effect? Assuming you did need a very specific wavelength to excite each pigment, you'd need an impressive range of LEDs to cover them all, since each colored LED typically has a fairly narrow emission range. I did manage to find sources of LEDs to provide what I thought was sufficient wavelength overlap at the half-power region of each emitter, but don't have the coral population sufficient to prove that I succeeded. Right now my non-white LEDs range from 390nm through 520nm.
    Dan

saltyfilmfolks and Nano sapiens like this.
  3. SpaceOps

SpaceOps Member

Yes it was, and despite my insistence to cite Dana as my source, they somehow left his name out of the reference. The sources were Dana's articles--which were fantastic.

I had originally posted them on RC, which is where Dmitry and Vahe discovered them.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Thanks Dan. I really like the way you presented the excitation/emission spectra. Wish I had thought of it myself. Excitation bandwidths, like those of emissions, are fairly broad. I'd like to look at FWHM, but any blue LED should be a suitable excitation source (if blue does the trick to begin with.) The difference would be in the brightness, or quantum yield, of the emission.

5. Nano sapiens

Thank you for clearing that up. With the wide spread of information across the Internet it can be a challenge to keep credits in line (as we can see here).

Ralph.

Ergodyne and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  6. Nano sapiens

I have to agree that the chart is really helpful, especially of great benfit when creating an LED array. Thanks to Dan for coming up with this!

Dana - Do you know the excitation spectra for the Red Fluorescent Proteins? (I don't see them on the chart). This seems to be the only coloration that is a challenge for my LED array (red in Acans turns to a more reddish-orange, for example).

Ralph.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  7. Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle Well-Known Member Staff Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Article Contributor

8. Dana Riddle

Here you are. None of these have secondary or tertiary emissions or excitations.
    upload_2017-7-14_14-28-34.png

upload_2017-7-14_14-22-27.png

Ergodyne and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  9. Nano sapiens

Thank you, Dana, that is very helpful. Typically, reds are easily kept under good t5 lighting, so perhaps a bit more green-yellow to yellow spectrun might help out here.

Ralph.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  10. SpaceOps

SpaceOps Member

It was a simple Excel table-to-graph, with some manipulation of the graphic colors. I've been wanting to add any other data sources and graph it again.
    I've found that there's a significant difference in intensity and emission spectra between each set of violet and blue LED wavelengths. I've got each set on a different string, so I can play with the intensity settings. Interesting results with the UVs.

11. SpaceOps

SpaceOps Member

Is Dana quietly cursing the thought of red lighting? (inside joke)

12. Dana Riddle

Red light! I don't need no stinkin' red light! :D

13. Nano sapiens

I've also done some separating of the channels for violet (403 nm)/hyper violet (428 nm) and royal blue (450 nm)/blue (475 nm). I also have Cyan (495 nm) on a separate channel and I've found this hue increases alkalinity and calcium usage more than what I expected. I even have a deep red (660 nm) channel...which some may find distressing ;)

14. Dana Riddle

Dan,
    It looks like you've hit upon something I've suspected for quite a while - that a bandwidth outside of the chlorophyll a, b, and c absorption spectra often used by hobbyists to judge photosynthetic response can be quite useful (due to the accessory pigment peridinin.) I began thinking this when PFO Lighting sent me a LED prototype that would be marketed as Solaris - it generated a lot of blue-green light but not a lot of PAR, yet corals that many considered intolerant of low light were growing very well (and a Pocillopora damicornis was spawning.) I've got an experimental protocol established for investigation of spectra, just need to get the lab going... Great observation. In my opinion, you might want to consider publishing your data!

Janci and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  15. Alfrareef

Alfrareef Well-Known Member

Stick it!

16. SpaceOps

SpaceOps Member

Dana,
    As you know, the data's not mine, but I do have some slides I created based on others' data you might like. I'll send you a link.

17. SpaceOps

SpaceOps Member

Dana, please check your email.

18. Dana Riddle

Dan, Got the email. Thanks! I'll take a close look tomorrow. too tired tonight - worked on getting the new lab's sheet rock in, primed and painted. Tomorrow, suspended ceiling install and setting cabinets!

Nano sapiens likes this.
  19. Sharvey103

Sharvey103 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

Enjoyed the read. Thanks for the information.

20. Maritimer

Maritimer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

Very timely stuff, since I was asked about fluorescent proteins just two days ago, by a visitor to our local Public Aquarium. Thanks for taking the time to distill and share this info!

~Bruce

elisareef likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted