Coral colours. Need some insight.

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Looking for a bit of help with my coral colouration.

So I have a whole bunch of healthy corals, growing well, I'm fragging and selling etc. But yesterday I took some red micro lords and some rainbow lords to my mates house. I noticed how much brighter and more vibrant his tank was compared to mine and how the corals just seemed so bright!

When we put the new acans into his tank, they already looked brighter and more vivid in his tank than they had in mine. This got me thinking that maybe the problem is a lot simpler than I think and it might be something as simple as lighting.

So something to note is that it seemed brighter immediately after introduction to his tank, so that to me rules out water chemistry no?

I'm running two hydra 26 non HDs with my version of the AB+ on a 24 inch cube.

I believe it may be lighting possibly as he is running zetlights vs my hydra 26s.

Or could it be something as simple as glass, as I have standard glass whereas his is a red sea with low iron glass?

I've tried fiddling with my lights today and yesterday and I can't seem to get the pop I saw in his tank.

Something else that I'm considering is maybe potassium deficiency in my setup, as all my acros, regardless of type end up turning a bright green lol. But as said above, the corals seemed brighter directly on addition to his setup so I doubt it's that.

Hopefully someone can help me to think of something here or give some advice.

Thanks to all in advance

jaxredsoxfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if the change in brightness happened immediately after putting them in his tank, it would have to be lights - and I think less likely glass. Can you match his light settings? Remember to change things slowly when adjusting lights so you don't shock everything in your tank.

OP
OP
Alemoki

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that if the change in brightness happened immediately after putting them in his tank, it would have to be lights - and I think less likely glass. Can you match his light settings? Remember to change things slowly when adjusting lights so you don't shock everything in your tank.
I'm gonna see if I can match his settings but being a zetlight of his vs my hydra it may be difficult to do so.

Will see how it goes.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back