BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very interesting in obtaining a coral croucher, but I am very worried about the compatibility of them with certain types of invertebrates. I was planning to keep a tank with a group of pom pom crabs, sexy shrimps, a Randall's snapping shrimp, and fire shrimps. However, I am wary of getting a coral croucher because they are scorpionfish whose diets primarily consist of small shrimps. Am I risking the lives of the sexy shrimps and pom pom crabs if I get the coral croucher? Unfortunately I've been running into a dilemma because I really like scorpionfish and invertebrates.

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a lot of nano fish/shrimp in my 160 and never had a problem with one. Even with really small bumblebee shrimp and pederson cleaners. That said said, I wouldn't be surprised if they did disappear.

And to be honest. Coral Crouchers are so shy I'm amazed every time I see him. I just assume he's dead most of the time. In fact, that's been my assumption for the last month since I've seen him lol

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a lot of nano fish/shrimp in my 160 and never had a problem with one. Even with really small bumblebee shrimp and pederson cleaners. That said said, I wouldn't be surprised if they did disappear.

And to be honest. Coral Crouchers are so shy I'm amazed every time I see him. I just assume he's dead most of the time. In fact, that's been my assumption for the last month since I've seen him lol
If you don't think tiny shrimps like the bumblebee shrimp will be eaten, would they eat feeder ghost shrimp? I've been trying to think of a way to feed them over a planned vacation, and unfortunately I've read they don't readily accept dry foods. On a related note, what type of food does your croucher accept (when you manage to see it of course lol)?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in my tank ignores bumblebee and pederson shrimp. but they all go ham for freshwater feeder shrimp. I've always been fascinated by that. They just... know. Never seen the Croucher go for one, but I hardly see him so its hard to say.

The Croucher usually goes for the chunkier pieces of mysis I mix with my frozen foods. Many people will try to target feed their territory since they can be shy. Not sure what to do about vacation sorry.

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in my tank ignores bumblebee and pederson shrimp. but they all go ham for freshwater feeder shrimp. I've always been fascinated by that. They just... know. Never seen the Croucher go for one, but I hardly see him so its hard to say.

The Croucher usually goes for the chunkier pieces of mysis I mix with my frozen foods. Many people will try to target feed their territory since they can be shy. Not sure what to do about vacation sorry.
Perhaps why they are attacked readily is related to the reason why predators are thought to be essential to ecosystems: they target the weak and sick mainly and I'm sure the feeder shrimp just seem weak or stressed in some way to the fish. On the other hand, it may have to do with the coloration of the shrimp. That's good to know though, I have been also considering those two shrimps.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back