Coral Dying

avgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so over the past few weeks my coral has all been closing up and I really have no idea why. My LFS said it could be due to my high alkalinity and told me to start dosing acid to lower it. I did that and the alkalinity was lowered but never noticed too much change in my corals and the alkalinity always would begin to raise if I stop dosing the acid. Is the problem actually the alkalinity or is it something else? If it is the alkalinity, is there something better I could be doing to help it. Fish are all fine. I have had the tank for over 2 years and never had this problem. I've also tried water changes and the alkalinity always raises back up. Here I attached pictures of the corals. It is a 120 gallon tank. The alkalinity yesterday was like a 10.3. Thanks!

IMG_5958.jpg
IMG_5959.jpg
IMG_5957.jpg
IMG_5960.jpg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your other parameters? Nitrates what are they at? If those are also out of normal conditions you could see a rise in your alkalinity.

Couple other questions:
Do you use RODI water?
Have you made any other changes your to tank recently?
So many things that it could be beyond Alk... The more information the better.

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing acid directly to the tank could be causing the ph to drop quite bit when dosed. I would let the alk drop on its own versus adding acid to the tank. Or lower alk by doing water changes with a lower alk salt mix. Can add the acid to new saltwater before doing a water change. Just make sure to aerate it 24hrs to bring the ph back up.

OP
OP
avgreen

avgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I would dose the acid, I would put it into 5 gallons new saltwater.

OP
OP
avgreen

avgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are at about a 10, but I have always had high nitrates and the corals have looked better when I've had higher nitrates. I have not changed anything with the tank. What other parameters would be helpful? I always use RO/DI water and nothing else I believe is out of line.

OP
OP
avgreen

avgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not checked phosphates, the newest coral is the orange torch coral but I have had it since like january. Haven't had any problems until the last few weeks.

OP
OP
avgreen

avgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many things that it could be beyond Alk... The more information the better.
Dosing acid directly to the tank could be causing the ph to drop quite bit when dosed. I would let the alk drop on its own versus adding acid to the tank. Or lower alk by doing water changes with a lower alk salt mix. Can add the acid to new saltwater before doing a water change. Just make sure to aerate it 24hrs to bring the ph back up.
sorry just realized I never quoted y'all!

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, post your last and most recent test results. I test weekly so I know where my tank is at. That could help others help you.

Example:
No3 - You already provided, so ignore.
Alk
Calcium
Mag
Salinity
Temp

OP
OP
avgreen

avgreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, post your last and most recent test results. I test weekly so I know where my tank is at. That could help others help you.

Example:
No3 - You already provided, so ignore.
Alk
Calcium
Mag
Salinity
Temp
Gotcha, I'll test everything and post tomorrow.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back