coral dying?

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, i have this green kenya tree that has thrived always in my tank and recently looks now like it is dying has become very small and flopped over, all my water levels are fine but i wasn’t sure if it was due to the corals around it growing over it, any advice and help would be greatly appreciated :)

F2EDBF49-D5F4-41C1-9224-AB997331B173.jpeg A610EE66-E0D3-4E2D-B59E-A0B5AB825BAC.jpeg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it glued to a rock or frag plug? If it has color its not dead. Are you sure that's a kenya tree? Looks like sinalaria leather coral.

Bear Claw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it getting good flow before it started looking like this? I had a rasta leather that looking similar to that , but when I moved it to lower light and more flow it perked right up. Are there aggressive corals near it? What are your parameters?

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it glued to a rock or frag plug? If it has color its not dead. Are you sure that's a kenya tree? Looks like sinalaria leather coral.
not sure i never glued the coral but i have had it on that rock for over a year now bought the coral attached to the rock. here’s a photo of it before
C62A580B-4541-44B0-80D4-BA87D31D5947.png

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it getting good flow before it started looking like this? I had a rasta leather that looking similar to that , but when I moved it to lower light and more flow it perked right up. Are there aggressive corals near it? What are your parameters?
no aggressive corals just morphs i haven’t moved it since i got it and the flow runs through it. i got a water test about a week ago everything was perfect just my KH was a tiny bit low but have been dosing and everything else in my tank is happy.
D82DC4A7-BA4A-47AF-A471-DFF1CB266806.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone, i have this green kenya tree that has thrived always in my tank and recently looks now like it is dying has become very small and flopped over, all my water levels are fine but i wasn’t sure if it was due to the corals around it growing over it, any advice and help would be greatly appreciated :)

F2EDBF49-D5F4-41C1-9224-AB997331B173.jpeg A610EE66-E0D3-4E2D-B59E-A0B5AB825BAC.jpeg
Looks like sinularia leather and wilted due to location (best at mid tank) and under moderate light and medium water flow.
Assure Phos and salinity not elevated and adding iron and stronium to water may give it a boost but its likely in an area thats getting very Little water flow.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These type of corals can attach themselves to rocks with their foot. If you can place the stock in a rock crevice and support it with small rocks it will re attach itself in 3 weeks.

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like sinularia leather and wilted due to location (best at mid tank) and under moderate light and medium water flow.
Assure Phos and salinity not elevated and adding iron and stronium to water may give it a boost but its likely in an area thats getting very Little water flow.
any idea as to why now it’s not doing so well as i’ve had it for over a year and just not decided to become like this

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
any idea as to why now it’s not doing so well as i’ve had it for over a year and just not decided to become like this
Place under moderate light and good water flow as indicated . Likely lacking flow. They respond to light also. Too low light will have effect
Any change recently in light or flow?
Again assure salinity and Phosphate and even nitrate has not become elevated

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place under moderate light and good water flow as indicated . Likely lacking flow. They respond to light also. Too low light will have effect
Any change recently in light or flow?
Again assure salinity and Phosphate and even nitrate has not become elevated
i have recently changed my lights to be only on for 8 hours where’s before they were on for 12 could that be it?

OP
OP
ellarose

ellarose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those red discosomas are super killers. One is literally on top of the leather and I'd bet it's killing it.

Edit: btw, these are not SPS...
lol sorry i’m kinda new to knowing all these things :(, i thought it was a mushroom coral i didn’t think they were aggressive

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree to move that mushroom. If you can, most likely attached to the rock and so is the leather. Good luck, but one of them has to be moved. You could cut that mushroom off with a razor. Temporary move because the foot will regrow a new one. But it might tell you if it is actually bothering it.

Run carbon to soak up the toxic warfare going on.

Also, sometimes leathers just expel the water out and get floppy from time to time.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i have recently changed my lights to be only on for 8 hours where’s before they were on for 12 could that be it?
Its possible and to find out, go back to 12 hrs and see how it responds but as mentioned, move to mid tank location

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol sorry i’m kinda new to knowing all these things :(, i thought it was a mushroom coral i didn’t think they were aggressive
They're not "aggressive " per se but they compete primarily with chemical allelopathy and they excel at spreading rapidly. I was going to echo what was said above - the shroom is absent in older pictures but directly at the base now. It's not conclusive - corals are complex animals- but it could be contributing.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not "aggressive " per se but they compete primarily with chemical allelopathy and they excel at spreading rapidly. I was going to echo what was said above - the shroom is absent in older pictures but directly at the base now. It's not conclusive - corals are complex animals- but it could be contributing.
You might want to read up on the subject. While they more often injure LPS and SPS, mushrooms (all types) can also injure other soft corals.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to read up on the subject. While they more often injure LPS and SPS, mushrooms (all types) can also injure other soft corals.

Yeah, I'm aware. I said in my post that I think the mushroom is the likely culprit. Don't be thrown off by my opinion on "aggressive".
In my mind i reserve that word for stuff like sweeper tentacles, but i suppose it's two sides of the same coin.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a mushroom is close enough to/touching another type of coral, there's a good chance it will melt the other coral.

Back