Coral eating nudi ID

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 1, 2015
Messages
2,269
Reaction score
1,034
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I purchased a monti mini colony a fee weeks ago. Like an idiot I forgot to dip it. Anyway, I had noticed some spots on the coral over the past few weeks.

I took it and placed it in my QT and noticed some kind of nudi seems to be causing the trouble....

This is the best pic I can get....is it a monti eating nudi or some other kind that will also eat other corals? It's green and the coral is green.

I did dip it in bayers last week but this guy is still moving around and there also seems a bunch of eggs all around the coral....little black eggs in a web. TIA
IMG_20151201_220104.jpg
 
Interesting.....the color is very green not yellow.....color on the pic is off......guy at the store said it was a monti.

Any idea on the pest?
 
I guess it could be but mine seems to have shorter legs and is green.
 
Remove it. It's not trying to look like the coral for a good reason, I'm sure.
 
Had a long convo on another forum about nudis. The hardest part is unless you have a microscope and a degree its hard to tell bad from good.
Many nudis even the really pretty ones that are named and documented, scientists dont know if they eat corals or the algae off them OR the bacteria on or around them.
So yea. ya gotta flush him just to be safe.
 
Interesting. Right now coral is in my Qt. Hopefully they stayed on the coral.
 
No, I'm not in the field. Just a fellow hobbyist.
 
No, I'm not in the field. Just a fellow hobbyist.
A smart one it seems. Thank you again for the article. Im a bug nerd. they cause a lot of fear and panic in the hobby and many are actually beneficial or are completely benign in our little biotopes.
Papers like that are right up my alley.

Ill stop hijacking the thread. Flush that totally cool little sucker. There is a good advanced aquarist article on comparisons of effective pest dip solutions. And how to not stress the coral in the process.
Good luck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new