Coral eating shrimp exoskeleton

N8 the Gr8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skunk cleaner had molted and I heard mixed thoughts on removing the exoskeleton but I decided to leave it there this time. Fast forward to the next day and I see my elegance with three spines sticking out it’s mouth. At first, I’m curious and slightly panicked but I notice that the shrimp’s exoskeleton is missing. As the coral and exoskeleton were fairly close to each other location-wise, I knew that it had floated into the coral and got wrapped up. What had surprised me was that the coral was actually eating the exoskeleton and hadn’t spat it out. I assumed that there was no harm done by this and it could just be a little more nutrients. Any thoughts? Personally, I have never seen this before and found it cool and very interesting. I have learned that nobody has experienced everything that can go on in a reef aquarium. I’ll attach the picture if anyone is curious.

961888EE-E1EE-4C13-A83A-B9D0E1D5E93B.jpeg

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Duncan colony usually grabs the molts and I’ve not seen any issues with them eating it.

Daniel266jz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had my shrimp molt and I read this thread and put it near my RFA and it’s eating it lol couldn’t get a great pic but here it is

B8184B0B-41B1-4529-9093-41EF2F92DCEE.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 60 32.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 49 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back