Hermit dead or molted?

magnificentNovice

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2024
Messages
14
Reaction score
8
Location
03054
What state or country do you live in
New Hampshire
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this in my tank and haven't experienced a molt before. My gut reaction was that it was a dead body. Snails don't seem to be after it, unless I missed the feast.

I heard that if it still had eyes in the stalks that it was a dead hermit. Under the microscope you can see the whole stalk and the textured lensing, but there's no coloration like I've seen in other dead crab close-ups. Is the eye cover part of the exoskeleton or am I being overly optimistic here?

1706228420181.png

1706228456503.png
 
Noticed this in my tank and haven't experienced a molt before. My gut reaction was that it was a dead body. Snails don't seem to be after it, unless I missed the feast.

I heard that if it still had eyes in the stalks that it was a dead hermit. Under the microscope you can see the whole stalk and the textured lensing, but there's no coloration like I've seen in other dead crab close-ups. Is the eye cover part of the exoskeleton or am I being overly optimistic here?

1706228420181.png

1706228456503.png
I'm not sure with the eyes, but one easy way to tell for sure is to cut it open - if there's flesh inside, it's a carcass; if there's no flesh, it's a molt.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new