Coral feeding question

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to feed my corals and they have reacted positively. but unfortunately they’re phosphate bombs. Could I dose MB7 or any other phosphate lowering chemical after I feed to lower the phosphate or would that destroy the point of feeding in the first place?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried dosing to reduce phosphate, but I've had success with GFO, specifically Rowaphos. Regardless of your removal method it's not going to ruin your feedings. Corals will get what they need/want from the water column and the rest will be filtered out if your filtration can keep up with the heavy input.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started to feed my corals and they have reacted positively. but unfortunately they’re phosphate bombs. Could I dose MB7 or any other phosphate lowering chemical after I feed to lower the phosphate or would that destroy the point of feeding in the first place?
What food are you feeding the corals?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many bad reviews on Reef Roids causing nutrient spikes. I do not use it myself. I use Benepets and spot feed. Never noticed any spikes.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing it the billy pipes method. So paste

Spot feeding
Perfect. I wonder about cutting your feeding back to about half then? See what happens? Consider a dose of live phytoplankton on the days you were going to feed the roids or Chilli ? It won't elevate your phos. I know what you mean about a phos bomb with the roids, unless 90% of it is utilized it will elevate numbers.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried dosing to reduce phosphate, but I've had success with GFO, specifically Rowaphos. Regardless of your removal method it's not going to ruin your feedings. Corals will get what they need/want from the water column and the rest will be filtered out if your filtration can keep up with the heavy input.
^^^ this too. Your filtration has got to be excellent. Mine is minimal ( Live rock and filter floss only) , so I decided to dump the Roids after cyano outbreak. My corals have slower growth (SPS) , but the LPS and softies are doing just fine, with regular feed to the fish, and the Live Phyto.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May get a media reactor. I just find dosing MB7 and effective and affordable way to lower it
I use MB7 regularly and it helps a small bit, but not enough to counter act feeding every day. You'd get better benefit combining it with other methods of phosphate removal

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose some nitrate if its low and let your fuge algae gobble it up.

I target feed roid almost daily, no po4 issues.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes but consider microbacter clean or other similar ones that are meant for this purpose. You could also use less coral food or swap your filter pad/socks out after feeding.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back