Coral feeding question

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get everyone’s take on this- I spot feed my corals with Benepets coral food every other day using a syringe. I turn my pumps off, give each coral some food as close to the mouth as I can and let it sit for about 5-10minutes, then the pumps come on.

Only after the pumps are on and the food is eaten or blown away do my corals put their feeding tentacles out.

1. Are my corals getting the food even if tentacles are not out.

2. Should I feed again once the tentacles are out or spot feed less round one to get a feeding reaction and then give them a larger helping?

(This question is obviously more geared toward my chunkier polyps like scolys acans, candy canes etc. vs zoas and leathers which just pick up what they need in the water column.)

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wanted to get everyone’s take on this- I spot feed my corals with Benepets coral food every other day using a syringe. I turn my pumps off, give each coral some food as close to the mouth as I can and let it sit for about 5-10minutes, then the pumps come on.

Only after the pumps are on and the food is eaten or blown away do my corals put their feeding tentacles out.

1. Are my corals getting the food even if tentacles are not out.

2. Should I feed again once the tentacles are out or spot feed less round one to get a feeding reaction and then give them a larger helping?

(This question is obviously more geared toward my chunkier polyps like scolys acans, candy canes etc. vs zoas and leathers which just pick up what they need in the water column.)
Put a little into the water column with the pumps on first to get their feeders out then try and spot feed. More effective this way

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back