Coral food

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some decent luck with AB+ for a few weeks, and then came the algae.
I stopped using it for a couple weeks and the tanks started to clear up - then I dosed AB again for a couple days and all of the algae came back.

What’s some good coral foods that doesn’t caus too much algae . I’m currently just broadcasting Misis shrimp

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you cant go wrong with Reef Roids and some Amino's. I personally use the amino "Fuel" and have been using it for many years with no effects on my system besides coral growth. The corals enjoy the Reef Roids as well and I mostly target feed with that.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using liquid Phytoplankton for my zoas and such. The LFS store said it would help eat up the algae as well if I had any.
I've also upped my phyto dosing to 4 oz daily in a 150 gal tank, and my corals have never looked better.

The only drawback is that store bought phyto is expensive. But the good news is that it's cheap and easy to make yourself. All you need is a plastic bottle, a light source, an airstone and pump, some phyto to start with and some f2 fertilizer. I got 16 oz of f2 on Amazon for $16. I've made gallons and gallons of phyto so far and haven't even used up 1/4 of the f2 yet.

And my phyto is chunky!

IMG_20200913_125709357_HDR.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Benereef doesnt spike phosphate like Reef Roids.

lilkiwi930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I s
I've also upped my phyto dosing to 4 oz daily in a 150 gal tank, and my corals have never looked better.

The only drawback is that store bought phyto is expensive. But the good news is that it's cheap and easy to make yourself. All you need is a plastic bottle, a light source, an airstone and pump, some phyto to start with and some f2 fertilizer. I got 16 oz of f2 on Amazon for $16. I've made gallons and gallons of phyto so far and haven't even used up 1/4 of the f2 yet.

And my phyto is chunky!

I should look into making some. So you put some in your tank daily? Plus how often do you direct feed the corals?

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're having trouble with AB+ and algae you'll definitely have trouble with broadcasting ReefRoids.

Sounds like you need more Nutrient export measures.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I s

I should look into making some. So you put some in your tank daily? Plus how often do you direct feed the corals?
Yes, I dose daily. I also direct feed certain corals daily with whatever I'm feeding my fish that day (my acans, favia, BTAs, and chalices).

Then once or twice a week I'll direct feed zoas, birdnests and leathers with Reef Roids.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great post. As a noob this is one of the many sections of research I'v been investigating. I was going to start a new thread for my question but figure I can ask here. My added question is... Do corals need to be fed separately if you have fish or will the corals feed on the leftover fish food? I read another post that mentioned this. If the corals feed on the fish food would they still need supplemental food like amino acids, phyto, etc or are those only needed for certain types of corals. I understand that if you have fish that are consuming all the food or you only have corals then added coral food like reef roids, etc. will be necessary. I'm thinking more of a tank that has leftover fish food available.

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're having trouble with AB+ and algae you'll definitely have trouble with broadcasting ReefRoids.

Sounds like you need more Nutrient export measures.
I keep creeping just above zero with phos and nitrates - I was told by a few people that the AB would actually use up phos so I should stop using it to keep from bottoming out. And I have been at zero a few times already, I feed heavy to get my phos up a little.

Its hair algae that goes bananas when I use the AB+

OP
OP
Payne Train

Payne Train

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great post. As a noob this is one of the many sections of research I'v been investigating. I was going to start a new thread for my question but figure I can ask here. My added question is... Do corals need to be fed separately if you have fish or will the corals feed on the leftover fish food? I read another post that mentioned this. If the corals feed on the fish food would they still need supplemental food like amino acids, phyto, etc or are those only needed for certain types of corals. I understand that if you have fish that are consuming all the food or you only have corals then added coral food like reef roids, etc. will be necessary. I'm thinking more of a tank that has leftover fish food available.
Some will tell you that you do not need to directly feed corals, some will tell you to feed directly, some will said broadcast feeding your fish with shrimp will be enough.
Pretty much what I've gathered and decided on is that I choose to "want" to feed them because it helps me mentally think I'm helping lol and I do actually think it helps.... Its just finding what works best for your tank

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will tell you that you do not need to directly feed corals, some will tell you to feed directly, some will said broadcast feeding your fish with shrimp will be enough.
Pretty much what I've gathered and decided on is that I choose to "want" to feed them because it helps me mentally think I'm helping lol and I do actually think it helps.... Its just finding what works best for your tank
It's been my experience that corals respond favorably to being fed directly.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this and what you said totally makes sense. Each tank is different.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some decent luck with AB+ for a few weeks, and then came the algae.
I stopped using it for a couple weeks and the tanks started to clear up - then I dosed AB again for a couple days and all of the algae came back.

What’s some good coral foods that doesn’t caus too much algae . I’m currently just broadcasting Misis shrimp
Coral harness algae to feed themselves. Anything that promotes coral growth is going to feed the algae.

JMR5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And my phyto is chunky!

Everything I read about home cultures talks about making sure everything is sterilized/super clean, otherwise it can crash the culture. Have you had any issues with that? What do you use to clean your equipment? I'm considering starting a culture to get off the expensive AB subscription boxes, but I really, REALLY don't need another thing to babysit. Lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back